Close
Login
Register

How can i increase my kick power?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

How can i increase my kick power?

Postby Gelocoster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:26 am

i was wondering if there is couple of exercises that can make my leg stronger..so..my kicks are more powerful and faster? in taekwondo they just tell us keep doing the kicks many times and it will become strong..so..if someone could help me with leg workouts it would be great :wink:
Street Fighting Records , Grappling: 3-1, MMA: 0-0 (Wins-Losses-Draw)
Gelocoster
White Belt
White Belt

Re: How can i increase my kick power?

Postby JonB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:49 am

Well of course working on technique really helps (i.e. putting your hip and knee into the kick really well) along with speed.

Squats and lunges are your friend. You can build some power from jumping squats and lunges as you progress too.
Core work is very important for kicking power as well. Pay attention to your abdominals, hip flexors, and back. Leg lifts, scissor kicks, back hyperextensions, etc...

Since you are a Tae Kwon Do practitioner (As am I along with Muay Thai) I would recommend some chamber work too.

Get a chair that is about the height of your knee when you are chambering. practice holding the various chambers (Or whichever your prefer/ are taught in your style) for minute intervals. Also practice the same drill with your leg extended as if you.

When you can hold a kick out for a minute or so without trouble, go buy some ankle/wrist weights that are very light in the beginning (2.5-5 lbs is what I recommend per leg). Now do the same drill with the weights on and please DO NOT do strikes with the weights on.
From there increase the weight a bit and work on developing ease. I wouldn't recommend going too high, but to focus more on how easy it becomes to hold your extended kick outward and higher.
JonB
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby Gelocoster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:01 am

JonB wrote:Well of course working on technique really helps (i.e. putting your hip and knee into the kick really well) along with speed.

Squats and lunges are your friend. You can build some power from jumping squats and lunges as you progress too.
Core work is very important for kicking power as well. Pay attention to your abdominals, hip flexors, and back. Leg lifts, scissor kicks, back hyperextensions, etc...

Since you are a Tae Kwon Do practitioner (As am I along with Muay Thai) I would recommend some chamber work too.

Get a chair that is about the height of your knee when you are chambering. practice holding the various chambers (Or whichever your prefer/ are taught in your style) for minute intervals. Also practice the same drill with your leg extended as if you.

When you can hold a kick out for a minute or so without trouble, go buy some ankle/wrist weights that are very light in the beginning (2.5-5 lbs is what I recommend per leg). Now do the same drill with the weights on and please DO NOT do strikes with the weights on.
From there increase the weight a bit and work on developing ease. I wouldn't recommend going too high, but to focus more on how easy it becomes to hold your extended kick outward and higher.

Finaly someone answers a good answer! thx for the help, and i already have 2.5 and 2.0 kg ankle weights, good or should i put less?
Gelocoster
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JonB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 am

Gelocoster wrote:
JonB wrote:Well of course working on technique really helps (i.e. putting your hip and knee into the kick really well) along with speed.

Finaly someone answers a good answer! thx for the help, and i already have 2.5 and 2.0 kg ankle weights, good or should i put less?

Those are fine.
JonB
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby Gelocoster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:30 pm

ok,and do u know any specifc leg workouts i can do? other than squats,jumping squats,lunges?
these are my atm leg workouts
Warm-up
Stepper 10 mins (at gym)
Jumping 2 minutes (at home)
Warm-up
Squats 10x3
Jumping Squats 20x3
Lunges 10x3
Leg Curls 10x3
Leg..oposite of curls 10x3 (at gym)
Scissor kicks 15x3
Front Leg Lifts 10x3
Back Leg Lifts 10x3
Chamber : Tucked Front 30-60 sec
Tucked Side 30-60 sec
Tucked Round 30-60 sec
Chamber : Extended Front 30-60 sec
Extended Side 30-60 sec
Extended Round 30-60 sec
Shadow Kicking : Front leg only (2 mins) R&L
Back Leg only (2 mins) R&L
Front Leg only with back leg spinning (2 mins) R&L
Open match 2x3 1 min break
Gelocoster
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JonB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm

That sounds good. Plyometrics in general that focus on the leg are good, so look around for any workouts involving that.

I also recommend that when you can do several hundred bodyweight squats, to work your way into one legged squats. They build a whole lot of leg strength.

http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm

That's a good tutorial on how to progress up to it.
Last edited by JonB on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby Gelocoster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:15 pm

JonB wrote:That sounds good. Plyometrics in general that focus on the leg or good, so look around for any workouts involving that.

I also recommend that when you can do several hundred bodyweight squats, to work your way into one legged squats. They build a whole lot of leg strength.

http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm

That's a good tutorial on how to progress up to it.

thx for the great help, realy! thx! XD
Gelocoster
White Belt
White Belt

Postby macbradaigh88 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm

your instructors are right for the most part. the more kicks you throw the better. but focus on speed. Speed kills as they say, and with it comes power.
ImageImageImage
WAR Aldo, shogun, pitbullalves, penn, king karl, kikuno, faber, the dragon
macbradaigh88
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Gelocoster » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:08 pm

macbradaigh88 wrote:your instructors are right for the most part. the more kicks you throw the better. but focus on speed. Speed kills as they say, and with it comes power.

thx for the tips :D
Gelocoster
White Belt
White Belt

Postby HawaiianPride » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:58 am

Twist your non kicking foot, and use your hips.
TapouT
HawaiianPride
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby WhiskeyNose » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Somebody already said bodyweight squats but I should mention them again. Exploding up at the top and jumping will help as well. I would avoid and heavy lifting, maybe a leg extension machine would be good for developing a good strong roundhouse kick. Other than that i would avoid the weights. Also buy a heavy bag and pound the fuck out of it. Speed and technique.
WhiskeyNose
White Belt
White Belt

Postby interceptingfists » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:39 pm

use your hip
interceptingfists
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Return to Stand Up