Close
Login
Register

Help with Muay Thai governing bodies, belts and titles.

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Help with Muay Thai governing bodies, belts and titles.

Postby UchiMata » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:48 pm

I've been a fan of K-1 and kickboxing for a long time now, and I've been trying to keep up with all the Glory events. But I'll admit, outside of K-1 and Glory I'm not too familiar with Muay Thai or Kickboxing in general, outside of a few fighters that I've heard of and watched. So, while trying to google and do some research, I've found that Muay Thai has numerous governing bodies. What I want to know is, which governing bodies, or belts, are the "best". What I mean is, there are a lot of belts to be won out there, but which ones are the BIG ones. Like in Boxing for example, there are many belts and titles to be won, but the four big titles are the WBO, WBA, WBC, and IBF belts. I've noticed that in Muay Thai, they have the WBC Muay Thai and WMC. Are there any other types of governing bodies or belts that I should be aware of, and are these the same titles that Lumpinee Stadium fighters would be fighting for, or are those completely different themselves? I really enjoyed K-1, and I really like Glory, but they're also not pure Muay Thai. I also think that it'd be nice to be able to understand the background and accomplishments that some of these fighters have. For example, Joe Schilling is getting a lot of press right now, and apparently he's one of the few American Muay Thai fighters to really be successful at the international level. Apparently he's won the WBC title, and I'm not sure if that's actually a really good title in win in the world of Muay Thai, or if people are just using it to get guys like me sucked in. So, those who know about Kickboxing and Muay Thai, do help me out.
UchiMata
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: Help with Muay Thai governing bodies, belts and titles.

Postby JonB » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Well you hit some of the bigger ones for kickboxing. There are regional championships that are mid-level like the ISKA. Because Kickboxing and Muay Thai are blurred, there are a lot of ways to approach it.
-The WBC has a Muay Thai section.
- WCK , WMTA are mid level.
- In Thailand, it's generally about the three biggest stadiums dedicated to Muay Thai: Omnoi, Rajadamnern, and Lumpinee. The World Muay Thai Council is an organization that claims to be the official governing body, but I don't know the link they have with the stadiums. But a lot of the most well-known Thai fighters started their early career fighting in them.

That being said, the all-time greats generally have multiple belts to sometimes include varying rulesets. Buakaws' belt list is a mile long:

2014 WBC Muaythai Diamond World Championship (-70 kg).
2014 WMC Junior Middleweight (-69.9 kg/154 lb) World champion
2012 Thai Fight Tournament champion (-70 kg).
2011 Thai Fight Tournament champion (-70 kg)
2011 WMC World Junior Middleweight champion
2010 Shoot Boxing S-Cup World champion
2009 WMC/MAD Muaythai World champion
2006 K-1 World MAX champion
2006 WMC Super-Welterweight World champion
2005 S-1 Super-Welterweight World champion
2005 K-1 World MAX 2005 Finalist
MTA World Muay Thai Champion
2004 K-1 World MAX champion
2003 KOMA GP Lightweight champion
2002 Toyota Muay Thai Marathon Tournament 140 lb. class winner
Omnoi Stadium Lightweight champion
2001 Professional Boxing Association of Thailand Featherweight champion
Omnoi Stadium Featherweight champion

So it's definitely confusing. There's no universal database of stats either, so it's not even like boxing where you could have someone from one org (e.g. WBC) fight someone from another (WBA), and compare after the fight happens.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Re: Help with Muay Thai governing bodies, belts and titles.

Postby UchiMata » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks for clearing that up a bit, Muay Thai can be a big mess for me sometimes so it's hard to keep up with for me.
UchiMata
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.