Close
Login
Register

help-is it possible to learn BOXING at home?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Re: help-is it possible to learn BOXING at home?

Postby Foster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 pm

It helps alot but eventually you will have to find a place with sparring partners. If you plan on eventually finding a place to spar then fuck yeah shadow boxing, heavy bag training, and practicing techniques and learning at home makes alot of difference. Will you learn to be instinctive and predict opponents strikes, no. Will you be able to take a punch and not be flustered, no. But at least you'll have alot of other things down and your hand speed, cardio, power and accuracy can be much higher.

It's a slower and less effective way to train but it is beneficiall especially when compared to doing jack and shit at home.
ImageImage
Foster
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Gouldjy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Just try it..why post? Go for a run, set ups, push ups, and then shadow box for a bit....your started..go
Don't be scared homie... Image
Gouldjy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby SavageSavant » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Hitting a bag, heavy or speed is only part of the game. Go to a gym in your area, pay your dues for at least 3 months to get an idea how the game is played, be polite and ask for pointers. 99 percent of the fellas there will be happy to help.

Train what you learn at home, more time spent training means better results. Once you have the basics down your time training alone is much better spent.

If you insist on not going to a gym to learn then Ill give you one piece of advice. Skip (with a jump rope), a lot, at least 15 min a day. Stay on your toes when you do it, this will build your calves up for quick footwork and help you with timing a little. Seriously though, train boxing a bit at a gym with fellas who know how to move fast on their feet.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
SavageSavant
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Nikrocop21 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm

anyone else feel like this kid is fucking with us?

If ur not good luck with everything, just get a buddy to spar with you if you wanna be a better fighter. getting better technique, power and speed buuilds up your confidence so its a good thing, but you gotta be able to use it in real situations not against a bag filled with sand. Sparring helps with your reflexes, speed and accuracy, which are pretty damn important lol. Srsly get a partner if you wanna be good.
Headgear is not really necessary, get a mouthguard tho, its cheaper and its very important protection. and respect each other enough to not try and KO eachother like on tv.
Nikrocop21
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby KidVelvet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey dude i would say with the proper eye for it yes its possible to learn boxing to a certain level on your own but you have to make sure your not just willy nilly throwing punches.
At the age of 14 i started to teach myself to box basically because i couldnt afford to take any kind of martial arts.
I started taking martial arts at about 16-17 and clearly took a very fast stride from anyone else in the area of boxing.
I am now a muay thai fighter for the last twoo years with amateur and a little bit of professional experience and i must say alot of my hand work in my skills has come from just being in touch with it from a early point and has helped me alot in gaining experience in other fields of combat.

But last and not least you really have to work hard and have a good eye in any form of combat you train in. Simply just showing up is not enough to learn the things you could be learning from whatever it is you may be doing!
Professinal Muay Thai Figther = 4w 4l
Amatuar record = 15w 4l
Fights at Lumpine and ratchadamnoen stadium
KidVelvet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby nmesniper » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

punching bags dont hit back
nmesniper
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Dan the Polar Bear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

You can, of course, pick up some new stuff and try it out. Just be careful trying to dive too deep, because what you're trying might be based on imperfect technique and flawed motions to begin with in it.

You already have the MT background, so that should help you in seeing the little details in videos you watch to get a bit better precision training, but it still won't be as good as it could be.

IMNSHO, you should start off by watching some old Shane Moseley, Mike Tyson, Ali, etc. fights and see their styles of movement and things they do somewhat regularly.
Germaine de Randamie
Aldo
Bendo/Pettis
GSP
Silva
Bones Jones
Alistair Overeem
Dan the Polar Bear
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby astheskyrots » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm

i think you can, can you not find a buddy to spar with you or atleast mit?

So Nick, would you agree your marijuana smoking has got in the way of your fight career?
"Actually, on the contrary, my fight career has gotten in the way of my marijuana smoking."
astheskyrots
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby mmabearpig » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 pm

320IDAVE wrote:
mmabearpig wrote:i still remeber when i did mt,i trained a lot of roundhose kicks at home-the teacher never teached me a roundhose kick and when i was sparring i almost fucked the dud with that but later i got ktfo

what?

Yeah i didn't get that either but i didn't want to poin it out and look like i'm hatin' on him.

Not hating but put a tiny bit of effort into spelling and grammar ... i have bit of the ole txt speak in my posts but generally they are readable lol.
"You've got spunk kid - too bad its around your mouth and arse"

Sig bets 0-2
mmabearpig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:50 am

mmabearpig wrote:
320IDAVE wrote:
mmabearpig wrote:i still remeber when i did mt,i trained a lot of roundhose kicks at home-the teacher never teached me a roundhose kick and when i was sparring i almost fucked the dud with that but later i got ktfo

what?

Yeah i didn't get that either but i didn't want to poin it out and look like i'm hatin' on him.

Not hating but put a tiny bit of effort into spelling and grammar ... i have bit of the ole txt speak in my posts but generally they are readable lol.

yap but your english i am portuguese
Lyoto Machida: "Karate is back!"
GSP: "I’m very happy that I learned Karate when I was young."
Mike Ciesnolevicz: "Karate when taught the right way can be highly effective."

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:51 am

MuayCrim wrote:
karatemuaythai wrote:why dont you like justin bieber the guy is a badass?

I've come to realize this poster is either

A. a humongous fruitcake
B. the best troll ever

cant it be both?i gona with the B

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 am

annunaki wrote:are you having some issues at school? :wink:

nop,i am a very nice person i am like justin bieber

you can hate me(not sayng that anyone is hating on me) but i will stil love you

also my hoobies include

-catching butterflyes

-long walks on the beach

-watch romantic movies
Last edited by karatemuaythai on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:58 am

KidVelvet wrote:Hey dude i would say with the proper eye for it yes its possible to learn boxing to a certain level on your own but you have to make sure your not just willy nilly throwing punches.
At the age of 14 i started to teach myself to box basically because i couldnt afford to take any kind of martial arts.
I started taking martial arts at about 16-17 and clearly took a very fast stride from anyone else in the area of boxing.
I am now a muay thai fighter for the last twoo years with amateur and a little bit of professional experience and i must say alot of my hand work in my skills has come from just being in touch with it from a early point and has helped me alot in gaining experience in other fields of combat.

But last and not least you really have to work hard and have a good eye in any form of combat you train in. Simply just showing up is not enough to learn the things you could be learning from whatever it is you may be doing!

thanks for the help,i think i am gona train a lot of heavy bag at home,but i was thinking,if i am gona do karate/judo i guess it woudnt be a bad ideia to do kickboxing as well-i am not gona do it so usual as karate but some sparring a litle bit

thanks everyone,by the way i wasnt really "trolling" because trolling is a natural thing to me i dont really need to even try

:wink:

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:02 am

Gouldjy wrote:Just try it..why post? Go for a run, set ups, push ups, and then shadow box for a bit....your started..go

i alredy lift for a long time also i do a lot of cardio,i also do shadow box,and others

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 am

Gouldjy wrote:Just try it..why post? Go for a run, set ups, push ups, and then shadow box for a bit....your started..go

i alredy lift for a long time also i do a lot of cardio,i also do shadow box,and others

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Stand Up