Close
Login
Register

Guillotine choke

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Guillotine choke

Postby Darce4all » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 pm

With a lot of guys not able to defend the take downs *cough* [Anthony Pettis], why don't more guys go for guillotine chokes? For me, as a wrestler, it is almost automatic to pull off the submission regardless of what position I'm in as long as I have good posture. The only guys I can't submit are guys with Cabbage Correia type heads where they don't have much of a neck or if they sweat like crazy after 10 seconds and my arms slip off. I do know that you can burn out your arms if you keep trying to go for the choke and don't submit your opponent, but if that's the case, let it go. I just wish I see more attempts and pull guard if that would tighten up the grip. What's your guys' opinions about the guillotine? Like it? Too hard to pull off?
Darce4all
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Guillotine choke

Postby Sliver » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 pm

well its hard were talking world class wrestlers here maybe it could be done to Hamil cause he has a kinda slow shot but no chance if were talking gsp. the speed that guy shoots in at is unbelievable
Sliver
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Formerly GUNNER2010

Postby MattHughesIsTerrible » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:14 pm

the majority of good MMA guys are aware the guillotine is coming and factor that into their takedowns. Its easier than most submissions but certainly not automatic.
How did Hughes get into the Hall of Fame?
ImageImage
Nobody knows...
MattHughesIsTerrible
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Classicbjj » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Darce4all wrote:With a lot of guys not able to defend the take downs *cough* [Anthony Pettis], why don't more guys go for guillotine chokes? For me, as a wrestler, it is almost automatic to pull off the submission regardless of what position I'm in as long as I have good posture. The only guys I can't submit are guys with Cabbage Correia type heads where they don't have much of a neck or if they sweat like crazy after 10 seconds and my arms slip off. I do know that you can burn out your arms if you keep trying to go for the choke and don't submit your opponent, but if that's the case, let it go. I just wish I see more attempts and pull guard if that would tighten up the grip. What's your guys' opinions about the guillotine? Like it? Too hard to pull off?

its not hard to pull off and u as a wrestler know how it is there go to submission 99% of the time, but when a wrestler shoots and shoots really well and lands in side control or is able to keep their head up the guillotine becomes harder to deal pull off. and again a lot of guys will strain themselves trying to get a guillotine its not like an armbar where u can swing ur hips and if u miss the submission u can get a sweep
DEADPOOL > ALL
Classicbjj
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby YMCA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm

GUNNER2010 wrote:well its hard were talking world class wrestlers here maybe it could be done to Hamil cause he has a kinda slow shot but no chance if were talking gsp. the speed that guy shoots in at is unbelievable

Did you see the choke Hughes got on Ricardo Almeida? That was due to a BJJ not respecting a wrestler's ability to make them pay...although it wasn't due to a shot in like we are primarily discussing here.

As for GSP's shot...the speed with which he shoots in (and the timing/deception) is only part of the reason he doesn't get caught in a submission attempt. When he fought in the UFC for the first time against Karo Parisyan, everytime GSP shot in Karo grabbed an arm and had holds in deep a couple of times. GSP learned from that...never leave an arm or neck in a position where it can be exploited.

Georges shoots in and looks to get crossways on his opponents' bodies, so if his neck is grabbed only one side will be taking the pressure from the choke...and with him off to the side he can work his way out with little effort. Add to that the fact that both fighters will be slippery and it is highly unlikely anyone will catch GSP in a guillotine during an MMA fight.
Black Zeus wrote:
^^he has a long history of crying if things don't go his way. Doubt he can learn to keep his emotions in check at such a late age. What is he 37?
YMCA

Postby BJJ760 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 pm

One reason that it's hard to get the guillotine choke is because when people shoot in for takedowns, they keep their heads pressed against the side of their opponents body while keeping their head up as well, which is extremely hard to apply a guillotine choke. When people get caught in them while shooting is because they are shooting a lazy or sloppy shot.

Another reason why I think most people don't go for them is because they are giving up position in a fight, if the sub doesn't work, not only is he on the bottom now, but his opponent just gained points for the takedown and can now try to improve position while having better position to strike his opponent.

I think fighters would rather try and defend the takedown than pull guard and go for the guillotine.
BJJ760
White Belt
White Belt

Postby MmaTender » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm

I see guillotine choke attempts all the time. Possibly every fight or at least every other fight on the main cards. It's an easy hold to slip in but it's also an easy hold to slip out of or negate. I think for that reason it's attempts rather than sub victories reflected
MmaTender
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby The Boss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 pm

If you are a wrestler transitioning to mma, you have to know how to shoot in for the takedown and not get guillotined because when you shoot for a double, you want to try to land in side control.
"Jiu-jitsu is the gentle art. It's the art where a small man (or woman) is going to prove to you, no matter how strong you are, no matter how mad you get, that you're going to have to accept defeat."-Saulo Ribeiro
The Boss
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 pm

I think a better defense would be trying to lock your arms in for a kimura and making sure you get guard. Now at the very least you have guard and can possibly sweep if not get a submission. The guillotine is more of a "beginner" move as it is easily defended for the most part.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Return to Ground Game