Close
Login
Register

guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Icemanfight07 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:12 pm

gjjalltheway wrote:
SOULDIER wrote:WRONG This is ajust a wild and outrageous claim to make. I disagree 100 % He's got a long way to go and his heart has won more fights for him than his skill thats for sure, but I do believe he's showing alot of improvment and with his incredible heart great chin unsurpassed cardio ability and his growing popularity (which means more money which means more time to train and improve) then to be perfectly honest the skys the limit with the kid and thats just the truth. Not to mention his weak UFC record has alot to do with the FACT that he won the Griffin fight and the Thomas fight despite what the judges said in my opinion. And the fact that you mention Huertas striking, but Guida outstruck Huerta the whole fight more signs of his improvement. Huerta wasnt even throwing a knee Huerta got damn lucky. I dont think hes gonna be a champ anytime soon, but he is a force to reckoned with and crossing out the possibility that someone with so much potential in every aspect of the game will ever hold a belt espescially in such an unpredictable sport such as MMA is just ignorant. Clay Guida lives in the same world that Matt Serra knocked out GSP anything can happen.

and yes I think GSP is gonna destroy Serra in the rematch so dont go crazy

-JW

Crazy talk, Huerta was def outstriking Guida...and the knee come on man, of course he ment to hit him with it...dont be foolish

Booh yah!!!
Favorite Fighters of all time (Liddell/GSP)
HW Arlovski/Hunt/Nelson/Velasquez
LHW Jones/Rumble
MW Belfort/Rockhold
WW Lawler/Brown/Macdonald/Hendricks
LW Lauzon/Cowboy/Pettis
FW McGregor/Edgar/Bermudez
BW Faber/McDonald
FLY Dodson/Cejudo
Women: Rousey/Vanzant
Icemanfight07
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Olszowy91 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:52 pm

I have to disagree, he is 3-3 in the UFC as of now so he needs to just beat the top guys to get the title shot.
If a fighter is undefeated, that means he has not been tested.

Lightweight - Kenny Florian
Welterweight - Georges St-Pierre
Middleweight - Anderson Silva
Light-heavyweight - Lyoto Machida
Heavyweight - Frank Mir

J. Olszowy
Olszowy91
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby LunaticOrder » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I also have to disagree (though I am admittedly biased). He is young and has a lot of work to do, but I think he could contend one day for sure.
LHK
ALWAYS WAR ACE AND CARPENTER!
LunaticOrder
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Somwhere between the bottom of the Bottle and the chambered cartridge

Postby bcolbyj16 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Thats one intense gatekeeper. Not sure of his age but if he can develop his standup (atleast boxing) and tighten his jj enough to be aware of the less than obvious attempts he may be missing in his scrambling, then he could become much more. I have noticed strides in other contenders ie. Griffin, Florian, etc. that I just havent seen out of Guida. Even in the Aurelio fight where he gameplanned to keep the fight standing, his technique was plain awful - his overhand right was more of a club or clinched fist slap, and thats the majority of what he threw. He doesnt seems to look for as many subs as he should either, but with all that hair in your face, I guess you might "miss" someones bare flailing arm that could be exploited. Hell take someones back if they give it to you... its so easy to see, even a caveman could do it. You dont have to tko or guillotine everyone. I am giving him too much shit, cause I really like the guy and really feel like he should find a camp like Greg Jackson's to take his game up a notch. Not sure where he is now but he looks like he is limited for some reason.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

bcolbyj16
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Damien Crowley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:09 pm

no DOUT he will get a shot in 09 hes ONLY 26 lol PLENTY of time

also they include wec recods cause ufc owns wec

so in the ufc organazation hes 4-3

23-6 all and all

good record ALOT of fights xp

hes a juggernaut and can compete with the best calling him a gate keeper is a freakin joke the only way he will become a gatekeeper will be WHEN he gets the title and hes the keeper of the title lol

so dont EVER dout a man with the raw talent he has

ps
i just bought his shirt of line lol its a kick ass shirt...ill defend guidas rep till the end of days lol
Damien Crowley
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Blacksheep » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Is Guida the best out there..no...could he be...I don't know...but is he good...HELL YES....I think he is way better than a gate keeper...I agree just give him time...but more important than all that...at least to me is that he is a helluva exciting fighter...I have never seen a boring fight with him in it. I hope he wins and wins alot...but if he does not ever when again I hope the UFC keeps him around just because he IS such an exciting fighter.

Thats one thing I will give the OLD Pride over the ufc...in the ufc if you loose three in a row you are on a fast track out the door....but in pride...it seemed as long as you put on good fights they would keep you around.
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I sure as hell won't. - George S. Patton
"The Sheep's Pen"
Blacksheep
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former P4P Champ

Postby MMAGeek » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:46 pm

I think clay should be given the fight that he really wants. I mean come on guys Clay Guida is the man. He should be given a big fight ;ike Kenflo and fight Roger again and after that he should get the title shot.
ALDO/FABER/TORRES/GSP/KOS/ALVES...JUST TO NAME A FEW!

Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport in the world...
MMAGeek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby thaKritiK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Damien Crowley wrote:OOOOOOOK

first off guida is my favorite fighter just to give a heads up lol

GUIDA beat griffen BEAT thomas AND GOT COUGHT WITH A LUCKY shot from hurta thats why huerta is training some more he realsed guida basicly destroyed him and needs to train so much more before he can compete again on the level of some one like guida

and his last fight did u hear the fans THEY were freaking out over him ud think it as a rocky movie "GUIDA GUIDA GUIDA!" he has unbeleivable stamina he goes 120 mph for how ever long the match is a great chin solid stand up he does have to play a lil more caution. and a awsome ground game dana white sees his popularity and will give him better and better matches guida knows he must finish fights now.

and in no way is it a fact that he will never reach the top he will some day the only people that realalisticly are higher ranked then him are florian pen and sherk i mean guidas been in alot of wars he has a record of 23-6 u watch 2008 he will buid a 3 or 4 win streak then in 09 WATCH OUT heill get a shot at the title dana cant and wont ignore him. HE ALREADY begane his 08 win streak

so a gatekeeper? HAH yeah right dana white joerogan ufc.com they all say he is a contender and a TOP light weight so deny all u want but he will get a shot

WAR GUIDA!

Thank u!
Pain reminds us that we're still alive
http://www.mmalab.com
http://www.elitecombatsports.com
http://www.mmarmy.com
thaKritiK
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby thaKritiK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm

therionace wrote:
Damien Crowley wrote:OOOOOOOK

first off guida is my favorite fighter just to give a heads up lol

GUIDA beat griffen BEAT thomas AND GOT COUGHT WITH A LUCKY shot from hurta thats why huerta is training some more he realsed guida basicly destroyed him and needs to train so much more before he can compete again on the level of some one like guida

and his last fight did u hear the fans THEY were freaking out over him ud think it as a rocky movie "GUIDA GUIDA GUIDA!" he has unbeleivable stamina he goes 120 mph for how ever long the match is a great chin solid stand up he does have to play a lil more caution. and a awsome ground game dana white sees his popularity and will give him better and better matches guida knows he must finish fights now.

and in no way is it a fact that he will never reach the top he will some day the only people that realalisticly are higher ranked then him are florian pen and sherk i mean guidas been in alot of wars he has a record of 23-6 u watch 2008 he will buid a 3 or 4 win streak then in 09 WATCH OUT heill get a shot at the title dana cant and wont ignore him. HE ALREADY begane his 08 win streak

so a gatekeeper? HAH yeah right dana white joerogan ufc.com they all say he is a contender and a TOP light weight so deny all u want but he will get a shot

WAR GUIDA!

actually, i hope you're right. i like his relentless style. but there are so many great fighters in that division that i just was curious if he could advance to the next level.

off-topic: he should tie back his hair! i have long dread-locks and they disrupt my vision ever so slightly. looking straight ahead isn't as impaires as peripheral. even if his vision in a fight is disrupted for a fraction of a second, that's all it takes to get hit.

That I agree with. Without his hair he would b that much better already.
Pain reminds us that we're still alive
http://www.mmalab.com
http://www.elitecombatsports.com
http://www.mmarmy.com
thaKritiK
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby legend » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:42 pm

i think your right...he is more of an entertainer than a fighter who will be champ IMO
legend
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby bigsexxyg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:57 pm

everyone loves guida for how crazy he is and how much he pushes the pace, but when u watch guida fight hes not just crazy, he has great technique, when you look at his takedown defence and takedowns he is a great fighter. It actualy pisses me off that ppl like joe lauzon are more in the mix of contenders then he is.
"Im training realllyyyy hard cuz i dont wanna get my ass whooped on free tv!"
bigsexxyg
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby SOULDIER » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:56 am

Icemanfight07 wrote:
gjjalltheway wrote:
SOULDIER wrote:WRONG This is ajust a wild and outrageous claim to make. I disagree 100 % He's got a long way to go and his heart has won more fights for him than his skill thats for sure, but I do believe he's showing alot of improvment and with his incredible heart great chin unsurpassed cardio ability and his growing popularity (which means more money which means more time to train and improve) then to be perfectly honest the skys the limit with the kid and thats just the truth. Not to mention his weak UFC record has alot to do with the FACT that he won the Griffin fight and the Thomas fight despite what the judges said in my opinion. And the fact that you mention Huertas striking, but Guida outstruck Huerta the whole fight more signs of his improvement. Huerta wasnt even throwing a knee Huerta got damn lucky. I dont think hes gonna be a champ anytime soon, but he is a force to reckoned with and crossing out the possibility that someone with so much potential in every aspect of the game will ever hold a belt espescially in such an unpredictable sport such as MMA is just ignorant. Clay Guida lives in the same world that Matt Serra knocked out GSP anything can happen.

and yes I think GSP is gonna destroy Serra in the rematch so dont go crazy

-JW

Crazy talk, Huerta was def outstriking Guida...and the knee come on man, of course he ment to hit him with it...dont be foolish

Booh yah!!!

you cant Booh yah!! someone elses opinion and with my post im not saying Guida ever will make it im saying i dont know and he has the potential too and by stating you stating that he wont your saying that in the most unpredictable sport someone with unbelievable potenital and very young age could NEVER be champion is just dumb in saying that your saying that no not anything can happen in this sport the only people who should win should be the people I say should win, but it aint the truth WAKE UP!! anything could happen Guida could get the belt and Huerta fought like a chicken shit fucker satying on his knee so Guida couldnt strike him and he diddnt throw that last knee Guida just dove into it and Guida WAS winning the striking he Huerta confused by his takedowns with threw him off and allowed Guida to get the best of the stand up ITS NOT BOXING! as a fellow Chuck fan I'm just really dissapointed that you can actually have the balls to say never in this sport when we've seen never gonna happen HAPPEN to Chuck twice admit your wrong admit Guida may one day have a shot or you as a result admit that you dont know what youre talking about. PERIOD BOOH YAH!!!!

-JW
something clever
SOULDIER
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby manihob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Blacksheep wrote:Is Guida the best out there..no...could he be...I don't know...but is he good...HELL YES....I think he is way better than a gate keeper...I agree just give him time...but more important than all that...at least to me is that he is a helluva exciting fighter...I have never seen a boring fight with him in it. I hope he wins and wins alot...but if he does not ever when again I hope the UFC keeps him around just because he IS such an exciting fighter.

Thats one thing I will give the OLD Pride over the ufc...in the ufc if you loose three in a row you are on a fast track out the door....but in pride...it seemed as long as you put on good fights they would keep you around.

Nicely put. I've been hard on Clay in the past but he is a ton to handle. If Evan Tanner got his hands on gold I really don't see why Guida wouldn't. Two years as a top contender, then a run at the title when he's 28 or 29. Sounds good. Hell BJ is almost four years older than him and remember all the trouble he went thru to get a belt.

WAR GUIDA!!!!!(when he's not fighting my favorite fighters)
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair or Fu*kn!g beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you got more punishment instore. Stand it like a man, and give some back
manihob
Green Belt
Green Belt

PreviousNext

Return to MMA Discussion