Close
Login
Register

Green smoothies...

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Green smoothies...

Postby REEM » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Was inspired by the Joe Rogan kale shake and wanting to eat healthier etc... My recipe is not at all like Rogan's, but I just thought I'd share my first experience making a "green smoothie"...

I used baby spinach rather than kale, it just seemed easier to work with and also it seems to have higher amount of nutrients than kale. I think the kale is more for a fiber/roughage thing, rather than for getting nutrients. The kale fits in better with Joe Rogan's idea of drinking it in the morning to "help you poop" (which is not a bad idea at all if you have an office job... nice to "get that sh1t out of the way" so to speak...) but the baby spinach is what I'm going with for now.

Anyways, so I used about 2 cups of baby spinach leaves, 3/4 apple chopped, 3/4 banana chopped, 5-6 strawberries, 5-6 raspberries, and about a cup or a little more of ice water, just enough to blend. It's a pretty thick smoothie. I was going to use the whole apple and banana but after chopping and seeing the proportions, 3/4 seemed like enough. It's not a big deal to throw the remaining bits away.

Anyways, as for the taste, it's sweet as hell and you can't taste the baby spinach leaves at all, though you can detect the texture (i suppose this depends on your blender, I have a "fairly decent" Osterizer but it's definitely no Vitamix)... it's very sweet and fruity overall. I can see myself drinking these on a regular basis now that I've gotten the first one out of the way. It actually wasn't bad at all, and I'm not someone who really even enjoys eating an apple. Now I definitely want to experiment with adding some different fruits and vegetables too it to see what I come up with.

Also, it wasn't really green-green but more of a brown-green due to the strawberries and raspberries. Some people might be turned off by the color but for me I just think about the healthy stuff I'm about to eat/drink and it doesn't really bother me.

Anybody else that wants to chime in with their green smoothie stories/recipes feel free to share them here.

Cheers.
REEM
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Green smoothies...

Postby Fearless6691 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:46 am

I stay away from green smoothies but I am getting some what curious because of the buzz about them lately. What kind of blender do you use, just curious. I mean, what is an osterizer?
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby REEM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Fearless6691 wrote:I stay away from green smoothies but I am getting some what curious because of the buzz about them lately. What kind of blender do you use, just curious. I mean, what is an osterizer?

Just out of curiosity, why have you "stayed away" from them? Something you read? The taste is really better than I thought it would be. I literally can't taste the spinach!

This is the blender I use >
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-4096-009-De ... B001KBY9LO

Like the reviews say, it is ridiculously loud. But, in terms of cheap blenders, it has by far the best motor/blending ability. I wrap a thick towel around the base to deaden the sound a little bit.

The Vitamix blenders are what all the pros recommend, but I simply can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on a blender.
REEM
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby ndizzle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 am

i been drinking green smoothies for about 4 months now,lost about 30 pounds but also cut out all crappy food though and mostly eat whole foods now. here one i try 1/2 cup water,1 cup green grapes,quarter of a cucumber peeled,half a apple,3/4 cups of brocoli florets, inch thick slice of lemon peeled and some ice. o got a vitamix though
]

Silva (jojo)(seb) vs Fitch (ndizzle)
ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby JohnKG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:59 pm

ndizzle wrote:i been drinking green smoothies for about 4 months now,lost about 30 pounds but also cut out all crappy food though and mostly eat whole foods now. here one i try 1/2 cup water,1 cup green grapes,quarter of a cucumber peeled,half a apple,3/4 cups of brocoli florets, inch thick slice of lemon peeled and some ice. o got a vitamix though

4 months now eh? Have you found a decrease in your craving for sweets?
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby anton14 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 pm

I highly recommend buying a juicer instead or at least try one.

Smoothies tend to be much thicker and can weigh you down during workouts. A juicer is simply wat it is, makes juice. It's light and you don't get the bloated affects of constantly drinking smoothies. The recipes also just include the foods themselves so they do not become dilluted with water or any other sort of liquids. The best part about it is that the juices contain the same amount of nutrition and as less filling.

Juicing is something everyone should try, especially people who are very health oriented.
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."
anton14
Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion
Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Accolades: July 2016 & Oct. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Oct. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Survivor (2017 Round 2), Survivor 2018 May Series Champ

Postby ndizzle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:48 pm

JohnKG wrote:
ndizzle wrote:i been drinking green smoothies for about 4 months now,lost about 30 pounds but also cut out all crappy food though and mostly eat whole foods now. here one i try 1/2 cup water,1 cup green grapes,quarter of a cucumber peeled,half a apple,3/4 cups of brocoli florets, inch thick slice of lemon peeled and some ice. o got a vitamix though

yes. feel great though. i stil why have some "bad" sweets but i know get same raw honey and eat with some nuts. honey helps with the sweet crave and its good for you
]

Silva (jojo)(seb) vs Fitch (ndizzle)
ndizzle
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:41 am

ndizzle wrote:
JohnKG wrote:

yes. feel great though. i stil why have some "bad" sweets but i know get same raw honey and eat with some nuts. honey helps with the sweet crave and its good for you

Try ready whip too, you can get it in chocolate. I spray some on my finger and eat it when I am feeling cravings.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:04 am

Smoothies and juices are extremely healthy and good for you.

I have a really expensive juicer and what my juices usually consist of is

6 ounces carrots
6 ounces apples (about 1 medium size apple) (red delicious apples, most nutrients. followed by gaia)
broccoli
kale
and sometimes pineapples for taste

very delicious and nutritious
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby JonB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 am

I tried making one.
1 cup kale
1 small apple
1 medium banana
1 scoop of body fortress advanced whey. Refreshing start, and good taste. I could not really taste the kale thankfully. I did get a whiff of kale water minus the fruit and that is disgusting. lol

I was actually able to grind the kale up well with a tip I read somewhere else. I chopped the kale up a bit, filled the blender about half way, and then turned it on. I only barely tasted it, and I didn't have the chew it. It is a tough substance though.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby BrockTheBroccoli » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

JonB wrote:I tried making one.
1 cup kale
1 small apple
1 medium banana
1 scoop of body fortress advanced whey. Refreshing start, and good taste. I could not really taste the kale thankfully. I did get a whiff of kale water minus the fruit and that is disgusting. lol

I was actually able to grind the kale up well with a tip I read somewhere else. I chopped the kale up a bit, filled the blender about half way, and then turned it on. I only barely tasted it, and I didn't have the chew it. It is a tough substance though.

Baby spinach is much milder and flavor and texture, blends much easier. It doesn't have quite as many vitemans and minerals as kale but it's right up there.
BrockTheBroccoli
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby JonB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 am

BrockTheBroccoli wrote:
JonB wrote:I tried making one.
1 cup kale
1 small apple
1 medium banana

Baby spinach is much milder and flavor and texture, blends much easier. It doesn't have quite as many vitemans and minerals as kale but it's right up there.

I've been told that. The difference is pretty noticeable even by touch. But the kale wasn't bad. I was planning on mixing up going between the two as they are both nutrition powerhouses. I'm going back on paleo soon, with lots of smoothies (2-3 a day lol)
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby ballsmcgee » Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm

1 cup spinach
1 tbsp flax seed
25-30 grams whey
8 strawberries
small handfull blueberries
enough orange juice to get it to the desired consistency.
Tastes pretty good
mmaisbetterthancorn wrote:I actually take the time too educated myself.

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby MikeHeath » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am

Adding spinach will make it more healthier. really nice recipe and sounds delicious to me.
Surely gonna try it next weekend.
MikeHeath
White Belt
White Belt

Postby mma freak » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Trying one now.

I make fruit smoothies on the regular. But you all have inspired me, so I got some spinach and flax seed oil to make it a bit more heathy.

I'll let you know how it tastes.
mma freak
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Nutrition