Close
Login
Register

Glass Chin's Ultimate Underrated Fights - Part 1

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Postby Glass Chin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Hey guys! I have decided that with the time I spend on this forum, maybe I can throw in my own creative contribution. I will try to do at least one of these a month, maybe more if I have time. I wanted to present a few fights that I feel have been swept under the rug or maybe forgotten about. Bear with me, as some of you may know, I'm sort of a MMA newb compared to most of the forum. I only became a fan around 2008 or 2009, so I'm sure most of you have seniority on me as far as fans of the sport. If my "Ultimate Underrated" seem to be "Zuffa Zombie" like in a sense, I apologize. UFC is what got me into the sport. So here goes it.

Date: April 1st, 2009
Event: UFC Fight Night - Condit vs. Kampman
Venue: Sommet Center - Nashville, Tenn.

Tyson Griffin vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Headlined by a barn burner of a fight itself, UFC Fight Night 18 - Condit vs. Kampman, was a night of amazing fights and finishes. We got to see Junie Browning get his shit pushed in and finally silenced by Cole Miller, as well as some exciting finishes from the talent on the under card. But all the night's fights were pale in comparison to this spectacular lightweight bout. Sadly, I could not find full footage of the fight but if you have fight pass, you can check it out.

Tyson Griffin was returning to action, after only his second career defeat, in a very close decision loss to Sean Sherk. The judge's scorecards gave Sherk a unanimous decision victory but anyone who saw the fight, knew it was much closer. Rafael Dos Anjos on the other hand was coming off of the first knockout loss of his career, a devastating finish via the brutal right uppercut of Jeremy Stephens, in a fight some say could have gone his way on the judge's scorecards. Both guys had something to prove, and needed to bounce back.

Griffin came out displaying great improvement in his striking. His head movement and footwork looked impressive as well as the added kicks and combinations new to his arsenal. He was getting the best of the dangerous Brazilian grappler in the stand up department but that is not to say Dos Anjos didn't have his moments striking as well. But, it was when the fighters got in close and in the clinch that Dos Anjos did his work. He threatened with submissions almost every moment of the fight. Whenever he had his hands on Griffin, he tried to contort something. Then about mid way in the first round, this happened...

What could only be described as a compression move, I had no idea what it was I was witnessing. I could only compare it to a move I was more familiar with, the calf slicer. The move had a drastic affect on Griffin's leg, and for the remainder of the first round as well as the majority of the second round, you could tell his leg was not the same. Griffin wasn't able to plant or put pressure on the leg and it was obvious the leg was bothering him greatly. As Griffin was now drastically less mobile and dangerous, this was Dos Anjos' chance to turn it up on the feet. He picked up his lateral movement and footwork. He was able to pick his shots from the outside for most of the second round, and kept threatening with submissions, when Griffin tried to grapple.

Soon, Griffin was able to get that spring back in his leg and was able to pick it up late in the second round. The fight was still close entering the third. I had it a round a piece and both men were willing to trade and get in some good shots as well as taking a few. By the third round, Tyson was once again able to pick Dos Anjos a part. His striking really looked amazing. And the ability to come back from that devastating leg lock showed incredible heart and will. Tyson just proved to be the better more powerful striker. Dos Anjos being the warrior he is, was still going for submissions till the very end. With thirty second left, he almost pulled off a near submission victory after locking up a kimura. Griffin went on to win a unanimous decision victory and both fighters won Fight of the Night bonuses.

Result: Tyson Griffin defeats Rafael dos Anjos by Unanimous Decision (30-27. 30-27, 30-27)
Last edited by Glass Chin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glass Chin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Glass Chin's Ultimate Underrated Fights - Part 1

Postby Glass Chin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

And they wonder why this forum has gone down hill :|
Glass Chin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 pm

I remember that fight and it was pretty damn good.

Great idea for a thread.
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Postby MadTitan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Good post. I'll have to watch this fight again. I forgot it happened.

Dos Anjos has improved the most out of any fighter I can think of besides Gustafsson in the past few years. Straight animal. Can't wait for his fight with Khabib.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.
MadTitan
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby M3NiK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 pm

I sure as hell know I would have tapped to that :O
Tweet Tweet
M3NiK
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby tron8 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 pm

I remember this fight. :lol: That little Calf slicer was pretty badass looking and Hogan i believe was going crazy.

I stopped being a fan of Tyson after the Gomi fight but i'll admit Tyson showed mad heart in that fight. He was even limping after the first round but he toughed it out.

Now that i think about it it's pretty damn impressive the smaller fighter in Tyson beat a top 10 LW in RDA.

"Fuck your mother" and "Show me the money bitches" - Moose
tron8
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby MiniMan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Fun post,great writing. that fight was a great one.
**MMALinker Members' Own Fight Videos**
http://mmalinker.com/forum/mmalinker-members-own-fight-videos-t118417.html

MIDGET STOMPED
:duvalfan, taipeimma, Mikal, username78, 604warrior, beast775
MiniMan
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby JTuck34 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 am

Solid post, your next edition should be Henderson/Jackson. I think that was a huge, major fight history-wise, and a lot of people forgot all about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it
7-3
JTuck34
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert

Postby Glass Chin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:59 am

JTuck34 wrote:Solid post, your next edition should be Henderson/Jackson. I think that was a huge, major fight history-wise, and a lot of people forgot all about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it

:tup: extremely underrated fight. Rampage showed how good his offensive and defensive wrestling truly was in that fight. In my eyes he dominated Hendo in the grappling department. Great idea for an Ultimate Underrated fight but I can't do it now cause I would feel as if I was stealing your idea :lol: . Good choice though mate.
Glass Chin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby DreadLobster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:01 am

Glass Chin wrote:And they wonder why this forum has gone down hill :|

:?:
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby Mr Meow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:00 am

This should totally become a series, i like these lost gems.

I totally remember this fight now that its been brought up again, the modified calf slicer was slick and somehow griffin limped his way through the rest of the fight and won. An underrated fight indeed. I never really liked or like griffin, but a good fight is a good fight

dos anjos stocks has gone way up since this fight, griffins has gone down. Its interesting seeing that retroactively after fights how each guys career does. Anjos is on a big win streak and griffin last got tko'd by JZ. speaking of which he is a guy i wish would get back to killer mode...

great thread though dude keep up the good work. There are a lot more gems out there to be dug up

que indiana jones theme

meow
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 6 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016, June 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Postby Mr Meow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:03 am

JTuck34 wrote:Solid post, your next edition should be Henderson/Jackson. I think that was a huge, major fight history-wise, and a lot of people forgot all about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it

Indeed an underrated fight in my book. some people like it and some really dont like it funny enough. I thought it was a hell of a fight and very historic like you say. Rampage's career didnt get any bigger really
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 6 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016, June 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Postby beast775 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:58 am

Nice choice. That was a great fight.

Nicely written, too.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby A Level 1 Noob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 am

tron8 wrote:I remember this fight. :lol: That little Calf slicer was pretty badass looking and Hogan i believe was going crazy.

I stopped being a fan of Tyson after the Gomi fight but i'll admit Tyson showed mad heart in that fight. He was even limping after the first round but he toughed it out.

Now that i think about it it's pretty damn impressive the smaller fighter in Tyson beat a top 10 LW in RDA.

It was his second fight in the UFC and he was a little green at the time. He also lost to Jeremy. Plus Griffen was a beast back in the day, he just lost his confidence

On Topic: I agree with everyone, This is an awesome thread and a good read. I remember i was pissed at RDA because he didn't go for it in the 3rd round. I had the fight 1-1 and was screaming at the TV for him to do something :lol:. Who would have thought back then that RDA would be close to a title shot and Tyson out of the UFC.

The Real LW Sig Bet Champion Image
#FreeThiago
A Level 1 Noob
Sig Bet Grand Prix Champion
Sig Bet Grand Prix Champion

Postby Glass Chin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:45 pm

MiniMan wrote:Nice choice. That was a great fight.

Nicely written, too.

Thanks Mini :tup:
Glass Chin
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to MMA Discussion