Close
Login
Register

gi or no-gi?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Re: gi or no-gi?

Postby GroundNPound4u » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I would first like to start by saying F*** my gi i hate it lol. i do a lot better in No Gi than in Gi. when i am rolling with my training partners in Gi i really can't do much and i have to play around in their guard and my gym is all about guard so it sucks. with no Gi i can pass guard. only thing i wish no Gi had is still the belt lol i do like to use that lol.
BRING BACK LOGAN!
GroundNPound4u
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby FEAR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I like both.
FEAR
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby D-RawK » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:50 pm

real life clothes will not even come close to being able to control your opponent. the gi is so much thicker and stronger. no gi translates to mma and real life better. Do Greco guys train in a gi? Why would you train gi for things like mma when you lose all gi grips when you fight??

gi is more technical but more sport
no gi is more applicable
--------------------------------------
THE SHOGUN ERA IS HERE. 19-3 FS
War Wandy Shogun Nog Brothers Fedor Arlovski Jardine Cro Cop Leben Maia Hazelett ABBOTT Gracies Mayhem Smith
D-RawK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby TTY » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:16 pm

D-RawK wrote:real life clothes will not even come close to being able to control your opponent. the gi is so much thicker and stronger. no gi translates to mma and real life better. Do Greco guys train in a gi? Why would you train gi for things like mma when you lose all gi grips when you fight??

gi is more technical but more sport
no gi is more applicable

not true clothes may not be as thick, but it is still quite possible to use it as if it if a gi especially if the guy is wearing a sweater
TTY
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Beltquest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 am

Here are some video links where Renzo Gracie and his black belts talk about this topic. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Renzo Gracie - http://youtu.be/zjwov38TNg8
Ricardo Almeida - http://youtu.be/O4DWXe5Iqhw
Daniel Gracie (Carlinhos Gracie, Black Belt) - http://youtu.be/rv0hdEODdTo
Jamie Cruz - http://youtu.be/3cACnHcMZU0
Karel Pravec - http://youtu.be/XmE7W1SDwpk
Mike Codella - http://youtu.be/xldqUofFl3M
Beltquest
White Belt
White Belt

Postby LiamHillen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Both are good for different things
[size=200][color=#00FF00]
LiamHillen
Baby Caveman

Postby kingomegared » Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 am

i just started training in a gi back in february. im still a whitebelt. but in the no gi classes i train with the blue and purple belts. i prefer no gi just because its what i started learning first. but also because the gi is so much fucking different :evil: the grabbing and choking and its always extra fuckin hot. its a whole new game.
https://twitter.com/#!/Lastwurdz

Suicide?? No, I'd rather vacationcide and come back when it gets boring.
kingomegared
Anti-Star Advocate

Postby FEAR » Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 pm

kingomegared wrote:i just started training in a gi back in february. im still a whitebelt. but in the no gi classes i train with the blue and purple belts. i prefer no gi just because its what i started learning first. but also because the gi is so much fucking different :evil: the grabbing and choking and its always extra fuckin hot. its a whole new game.

Yea, gi is a whole different monster. Really the only gi chokes I like are the cross choke, bow and arrow choke, and the bat choke. Something that helped me learn moves was to think how to transfer certain aspects from each other. For example, an underhook on the right side in nogi can be changed to a right lapel grip. And head and wrist control can be changed to a back collar grip and sleeve grip. Obviously grip strength is huge in gi and working on that can really improve your game. Also, check out spider guard:
FEAR
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby ruine87 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 am

no-gi !
ruine87
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby kingomegared » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm

exsanguinator wrote:
irishjudoka wrote:^ true, very true and i agree. however it depends on how you look at it...here in texas its 90+ a good 8 or 9 months out of the year so no gi comes in handy. however, i think the gi teaches you proper tech and off balancing..just ask marcelo.

Ask any elite jiu jitsu fighter like Roger, Jacare, Maia, Werdum, Drysdale, etc. Training in the gi is absolutely necessary to achieve success at the highest levels of grappling.

agree i've been doing no gi for a while but i just stopped getting better. with a gi i've been improving more rapidly. i went from being a complete bum to just a regular bum in no time.
https://twitter.com/#!/Lastwurdz

Suicide?? No, I'd rather vacationcide and come back when it gets boring.
kingomegared
Anti-Star Advocate

Postby 808_Hawaii » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Some of you may not believe this but I haven't trained No-gi in over a year but I constantly win or place in my No-gi brackets... My instructor basically told me "If you train gi, you can always just take off the gi be fine"

Instead of grabbing collars I would cup the head, pretty much all I would do is tell myself instead of grabbing, I'm going to hook something.

Anyway I don't want to come off as a crazy guy. Just know I love all you guys regardless of gi or no gi :biggrin:
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby pancakefactory » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I've never trained No-gi but am looking forward to trying it. Gi Jiu Jitsu is the bomb, though. I love how proper grips on a gi can help negate strength advantages and promote more technique when rolling, though. Also, there just seems to be more submissions and sweeps you can do with a gi on. I've heard before that it's easier to transfer skills from Gi Jiu Jitsu to No-Gi Jiu Jitsu than it is the other way around.
Image Image
pancakefactory
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:41 am

pancakefactory wrote:I've never trained No-gi but am looking forward to trying it. Gi Jiu Jitsu is the bomb, though. I love how proper grips on a gi can help negate strength advantages and promote more technique when rolling, though. Also, there just seems to be more submissions and sweeps you can do with a gi on. I've heard before that it's easier to transfer skills from Gi Jiu Jitsu to No-Gi Jiu Jitsu than it is the other way around.

It is. By virtue of the increased friction from the gi your positioning ends up being a lot better. As I'm sure you've heard, position leads to submission.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby flowroll101 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I love no-gi, but I'm so glad that I do much more gi now. Gi teaches so much more control versus no-gi where you can become very scramble prone quickly. Once you're sweaty things get interesting in no-gi and knowing proper weight distribution helps so much with no-gi. The gi certainly won't hurt your no-gi game.
flowroll101
White Belt
White Belt

Postby pancakefactory » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 pm

So I've trained in No-Gi about 4 times now. It's really fun. Love the mad scrambles that come with it. However, I think I prefer training in the Gi. The Gi just adds a 4th dimension to the fight that you have to worry about. Plus it's kinda gross when I guy starts pouring sweat all over your face in No-Gi :lol:

Still going to train in both but mainly Gi.
Image Image
pancakefactory
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Game