Close
Login
Register

gi or no-gi?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

gi or no-gi?

Postby hulfachor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:42 am

i was just wondering what linkers prefer, gi or no-gi jiu jitsu? i FAR prefer no-gi. i hate gi chokes, getting rashes from the gi, and how someone can control me by pulling on my clothes. in all fairness, i prefer gi jiu jitsu to no jiu jitsu at all. i just find it less effective in real life situations and pretty frustrating
MMA record: 9-0
(T)KO's:4
SUBMISSIONS:3
hulfachor
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: gi or no-gi?

Postby TTY » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 am

i used to be all gi until i started to realize i like my ability to move more than preventing the other person from moving
TTY
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby JohnKG » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

hulfachor wrote:i was just wondering what linkers prefer, gi or no-gi jiu jitsu? i FAR prefer no-gi. i hate gi chokes, getting rashes from the gi, and how someone can control me by pulling on my clothes. in all fairness, i prefer gi jiu jitsu to no jiu jitsu at all. i just find it less effective in real life situations and pretty frustrating

So which do you prefer... No gi or gi..

I prefer no-gi...
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby The Boss » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 am

It's a love-hate relationship with the gi. My sub defense seems to be better when I wear gi's, but without them I pass guard and get into positions I want better. So I just train in both, but as of right now I compete in tourneys with no gi.
"Jiu-jitsu is the gentle art. It's the art where a small man (or woman) is going to prove to you, no matter how strong you are, no matter how mad you get, that you're going to have to accept defeat."-Saulo Ribeiro
The Boss
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby irishjudoka » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm

i like both equally. i ushally do the 1 hour with my judo gi on the and 2nd hour and a half with it off.
irishjudoka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby MAUIBUILT420 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:31 am

I prefer gi, because I'm just starting bjj and I'm taught it's the best way to learn the fundamentals. Also, gi makes sweeping my opponent easier, but also makes me vulnerable to callor chokes and stuff.

No gi is lame once you start sweating.
SigBetting Record: 1-0
MAUIBUILT420
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby irishjudoka » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

MAUIBUILT420 wrote:I prefer gi, because I'm just starting bjj and I'm taught it's the best way to learn the fundamentals. Also, gi makes sweeping my opponent easier, but also makes me vulnerable to callor chokes and stuff.

No gi is lame once you start sweating.

no gi is quite the challange once you start to sweat.
irishjudoka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby slugr3000 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 am

if i had to pick i like gi just a bit more. i havent competed in no gi but i have been wanting to test it out.
slugr3000
White Belt
White Belt

Postby chrispmorg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 am

slugr3000 wrote:if i had to pick i like gi just a bit more. i havent competed in no gi but i have been wanting to test it out.

I like the invisible underhooks and the cunning uses of the Gi. I've only done a little no Gi, so I'm going to say Gi. Both are fun as hell though.
chrispmorg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:24 am

I prefer the gi.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby Classicbjj » Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 am

love the gi :) but they both teach u things that apply to both i truly believe it is better to train both gi and nogi jiu jitsu jus because it allows u to learn all aspects of jiu jitsu from explosiveness to control.
DEADPOOL > ALL
Classicbjj
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby 187bwoy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Everyone who practices Jiu-Jitsu must wear the Gi it makes you a much technical practitioner and it makes your overall game better
187bwoy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 pm

hulfachor wrote:i was just wondering what linkers prefer, gi or no-gi jiu jitsu? i FAR prefer no-gi. i hate gi chokes, getting rashes from the gi, and how someone can control me by pulling on my clothes. in all fairness, i prefer gi jiu jitsu to no jiu jitsu at all. i just find it less effective in real life situations and pretty frustrating

Unless you run around without clothes on then training with a Gi is much more like real life. Gi chokes, sweeps and throws all work with regular clothes just like with a Gi.

I prefer both and have competed in both. The only thing I didn't like about no-gi was at the lower level a lot of wrestlers have the advantage, that goes away as you progress and that is not even there with the Gi on.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby irishjudoka » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 am

^ true, very true and i agree. however it depends on how you look at it...here in texas its 90+ a good 8 or 9 months out of the year so no gi comes in handy. however, i think the gi teaches you proper tech and off balancing..just ask marcelo.
irishjudoka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 pm

irishjudoka wrote:^ true, very true and i agree. however it depends on how you look at it...here in texas its 90+ a good 8 or 9 months out of the year so no gi comes in handy. however, i think the gi teaches you proper tech and off balancing..just ask marcelo.

Ask any elite jiu jitsu fighter like Roger, Jacare, Maia, Werdum, Drysdale, etc. Training in the gi is absolutely necessary to achieve success at the highest levels of grappling.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Next

Return to Ground Game