Close
Login
Register

GI or NO GI

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

GI or NO GI

Postby shogun_rua » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:00 pm

So i've been training NO GI together with MMA lessons for almost a year now. I havent tried the GI lessons yet, because i do not have the time and enough money to sign up for lessons. Which is more technical, in which someone can improve better in their grappling game.
shogun_rua
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: GI or NO GI

Postby timbercutter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:29 pm

The Gi is useless for MMA....it is an unnessary liability, unless you are going to compete strictly within your disipline ( I.e. MT, Karate, Judo, pure BJJ etc)....
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:38 pm

yeah its completely useless to train gi if youre planning on going into mma. i train BJJ gi and no gi, and IMO no gi is much funner. some of the chokes you can do with the gi are pretty cool though
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby timbercutter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:yeah its completely useless to train gi if youre planning on going into mma. i train BJJ gi and no gi, and IMO no gi is much funner. some of the chokes you can do with the gi are pretty cool though

They are cool, but useless in MMA and on the street...unless your throwing down at a bar with a dude in a Bathrobe....I train SSJ, and every technique we drill has a no Gi option= much more practical
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby CCMAR » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Kinda pointless i f you have a gi
LHK
HW - AO
LHW - Jones, Machida
MW - V. Belfort, Hendo
WW - GSP
LW - Aldo, K-Flo
FW - Sudo
CCMAR
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby shogun_rua » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 am

Hmmm ok thanks for the replies guys.
shogun_rua
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 am

Gi Jiu-jitsu is not completely useless for MMA. That being said No-Gi is far more practical, but with the Gi you still learn some of the same moves. The biggest difference between the 2 is the grips. With the GI you grab the collar, sleeves, and pants, which give you very good control. No-Gi likes the back of the neck, tricep, ankle, wrist. But IMO Gi Jiu-jitsu is much more technical, because of the vast amount of chokes you can use, I also find it much more fun. (Choking someone with their own gi is awesome :lol: )
Wrestlers are like cockroaches, you put them on their back and they die.

I AM THE TRUE SHOGUN OF MMALINKER!!!!
ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Location: armbarring Shadowmoses while he cries like a girl in Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:08 am

yeah the gi chokes are awesome. ive just wrestled all my life so i prefer no gi
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Officialaccount » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:15 pm

hahha omg this makes me laugh. Train with a Gi on has a point, it makes the game far more techincal since your open to many more moves. Also it makes it harder to simply slip out of a move because your sweaty and it forces you to learn the proper escapes. Although training No Gi is what you'll use more often using a Gi has its place. I bet the reason people trash it is because they put on a Gi, got chocked in way they'd never dreamed of and ran home and cried.
Favorites
Dan Henderson
Anderson Silva
Quinton Jackson
Amir Sadollah
Forrest Griffin
Ricardo Almeida
Demian Maia
Efrain Escudero
DaMarques Johnson
Image Image
http://TinyIslandHosting.com
Officialaccount
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:18 pm

no thats completely false. when are you gong to gi choke someone in MMA? when traiing BJJ gi is lots of fun and everyone should definitely try it. but when only MMA is concerned the gi wont help. youre right about the fact that it teaches you the correct technique for escapes, but thats the only way it helps in MMA. and in a MMA fight youre sweaty anyway so you can escape by scrambling sometimes, not only by using perfect technique
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Headhunter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:27 pm

i would recommend training no gi if you plan to compete in a no gi setting for obvious reasons, but training with a gi has the benefit of training your mind to be aware of more options at once which is very difficult for a no gi fighter to do since they are used to being aware of less options. the idea is that if you are used to training at a higher level (in this case you're training to be aware of more things at once), then when you actually compete, it should be easier for you. with that said, if you can do both then i would recommend that, but if you HAVE to make a choice, go with the one that will best emulate what you will compete in
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby Officialaccount » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:no thats completely false. when are you gong to gi choke someone in MMA? when traiing BJJ gi is lots of fun and everyone should definitely try it. but when only MMA is concerned the gi wont help. youre right about the fact that it teaches you the correct technique for escapes, but thats the only way it helps in MMA. and in a MMA fight youre sweaty anyway so you can escape by scrambling sometimes, not only by using perfect technique

well its not false its correct (also i never said you gi choke someone in mma lol ). You just proved it. You don't get all slippery when wearing a gi so you can't just simply slip out of a move. you have to learn all the proper escapes. I'm not saying traing no gi is worse, but to say one or the other has no purpose simply isn't true. Also i'm confused as to why you would be happy with anythign less than perfect technique.
Favorites
Dan Henderson
Anderson Silva
Quinton Jackson
Amir Sadollah
Forrest Griffin
Ricardo Almeida
Demian Maia
Efrain Escudero
DaMarques Johnson
Image Image
http://TinyIslandHosting.com
Officialaccount
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby sammcl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Gi and no Gi are very different. A gi can be used to attack somebody, when you grab the gi, whatever is in the gi moves with it. Gi is faster, there's a few topics on this already that'll have the differences. My advice would be to master no gi or gi first, then switch.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Officialaccount wrote:
ThirdCoastCombat wrote:no thats completely false. when are you gong to gi choke someone in MMA? when traiing BJJ gi is lots of fun and everyone should definitely try it. but when only MMA is concerned the gi wont help. youre right about the fact that it teaches you the correct technique for escapes, but thats the only way it helps in MMA. and in a MMA fight youre sweaty anyway so you can escape by scrambling sometimes, not only by using perfect technique

well its not false its correct (also i never said you gi choke someone in mma lol ). You just proved it. You don't get all slippery when wearing a gi so you can't just simply slip out of a move. you have to learn all the proper escapes. I'm not saying traing no gi is worse, but to say one or the other has no purpose simply isn't true. Also i'm confused as to why you would be happy with anythign less than perfect technique.

youre right that theres no reason to not strive for perfect technique, so i quess i retract saying that training gi is useless for mma. but it is definitely more beneficial to train no gi for mma. i guess the point i was trying to get across it that some stuff that works no gi wont work with a gi, and if you get used to not doing those things cause youve been training with a gi you may not look for them in an mma match. thats what i was trying to say, not that you should strive for anything but perfect technique. should have worded it better
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dr Jekyll » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:13 pm

GI pants are good to prevent mat burns. :P
say your prayers, little one, don't forget my son, to include everyone... i tuck you in, walk within, keep you free from sin... 'til the sandman he comes..
Dr Jekyll
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Ground Game