Close
Login
Register

General Facts on Protein Consumption

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

General Facts on Protein Consumption

Postby Smith » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:36 pm

There's more questions floating around here regarding protein consumption than any other questions. So I'll put down a few basic facts about protein that you all might find helpful. If anyone has any factual information to add to this, post it and I'll include it to the topic.

Q: How much protein do I need to consume if I lift and train very hard?

A: The old standard is usually to consume a maximum of 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body weight. Yes, I said kilogram, NOT pounds. This is a common misconception. To find out how many grams of protein you need per pound you weigh, you must take your lean body weight and divide it by 2.2 then multiply it by 1.5. So, if you weigh 150 lean pounds you must consume 102.25 grams of protein per day. (150/2.2 = 68.18 x 1.5 = 102.25)

Q: What types of protein are best to consume?

A: The three main types of protein that most athletes prefer to consume are whey isolate, egg protein, and casein isolate.

Q: So what's the difference and what does each one do specifically?

A: Best question you've asked so far chief...

Whey protein isolate:
-Helps boost the immune system
-Whey proteins will absorb 80 to 90% into your body and isolate proteins can absorb 90 to 99%-specific mixes of protein can offer over 100% absorption.
-Enhance his muscle recovery and prevents muscle breakdown
-Absorbs very quickly in the body, usually less than 30 minutes per 50 g
-Easy to flavor
-Best source of amino acids next a cooked eggs
This is the most preferred post workout protein to consume because once you stop exercising your muscles have a 30 minute window where they benefit the most from (and absorb the most) protein. Since whey protein is digested the fastest and nearly 100% of it is able to be absorbed by the body, it is the most ideal for a post workout protein source.

Casein protein isolate:
-Useful for nighttime meal to prevent long-term hunger
-Casein protein will usually offer 50 to 80% absorption, more if you are resting
Casein isolate is great to consume throughout the duration of your day. It takes a longer time to break down than whey protein so it isn't consumed by your body so quickly and wasted if your body does not need protein at that certain point in the day. A slow release protein like this means your body will be processing protein all day if you consume it properly throughout the day, where as a whey protein isolate would be broken down and wasted.

Egg protein:
-Contains 100% of essential amino acids
-100% of protein absorbed by the body
-Breaks down slower than whey so like casein it is good to consume throughout the course of your day leading up to your training/workout.

Protein value is measured by the amount that is able to be consumed/absorbed by the body. As stated above, egg, soy, and whey proteins scores 100%. Casein only scores 50 to 80% but as I explained is a great protein source. All proteins are measured based off of egg protein, as it is the "perfect" protein.

Q: What's the deal, why haven't you listed any of the benefits soy protein provides?

A: Yes, as I stated 100% of soy protein is able to be absorbed by the body. But, the reason I don't provide any facts about it is that soy is so detrimental to an athletes body that it warrants it's own Q and A. To put it simply, one serving of soy has about the same amount of estrogen in it as a birth control pill. Athletes need to have high levels of testosterone in the their body and estrogen counteracts those levels. Basically, estrogen is the enemy when it comes to muscle growth and recovery. Soy has some wonderful benefits to it such as lowering cholesterol though. But, a healthy, young athlete as many of you all are aspiring to be should not have cholesterol problems, so do yourself a favor and stay away from the soy, mmk?

Q: Any suggestions on how to consume protein and what foods are good protein sources?

A: Eating about 5-6 small meals throughout the course of one's day is probably the best way to load up on protein while being able to process all of it. Eating 100g of protein at once is a waste. Eating 10-20g here, 10-20g there and so on is a good way to slowly process protein. As I said before, a whey isolate protein shake after your workout is the best thing you can do for yourself. The average person can process no more than 40g of protein every two hours or so, so most sources suggest consuming 40g of whey protein isolate immediately after you lift. This number could be too high for smaller people. Casein protein before a workout is very beneficial. MuscleMilk claims to be the best thing you can consume before a workout. 50% of it is whey protein (for that quick protein absorption) and 50% is casein protein (for that slower absorption). So basically your body gets an immediate source of protein and then some protein to break down at a slower pace to help give your muscles a protein source while you lift. MuscleMilk also claims to provide the majority of the daily amino acids one needs.

Personally, I like to eat a lot of fish and chicken throughout the course of the day. I eat protein with every small meal I consume along with a healthy source of carbs like vegetables. If you want to know how much protein you're getting per serving and other foods high in protein just type "high protein foods" into google and you'll be given a wealth of knowledge.

Q: Is consuming too much protein a bad thing?

A: Yes, it can be. Some studies are linking too high of protein intake to cancer and research has shown that it can add stress to your body's organs causing breathing problems. This is shown mostly in diets that are almost all protein, low in calories, and low in carbs. Yes, for the love of God, your body needs carbs, fats, and calories to perform properly, even if you're trying to lose weight. A decent guideline is to have your meals have a balance of about 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat if you're an athlete. You'll hear different numbers from different sources though.

Q: So do I owe you anything for taking the time to compile this wonderful knowledge for me?

A: Just your never ending loyalty and gratitude. :wink:
Last edited by Smith on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Re: General Facts on Protein Consumption

Postby agonzalez1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 pm

I'll post some protein shake recipies in a day or so. Should give people that are wondering a reasonable guide to figuring out what's right for them.
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby Headhunter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:43 am

is there another food i can substitute for fish? i can't eat any seafood except crustaceans otherwise i puke all over the place. is there any specific reason i should be eating fish that i can't sub with anything else? and if there is a supplement or other product that subs in for fish it'd be nice to know (but i'd prefer natural food). thanks in advance. i appreciate you putting this all in one convenient place, especially since i plan on getting a more rigorous diet after the summer.
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby Smith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:54 am

The most comparable thing to fish in regards to calorie, protein, carb, and fat amounts would be chicken. A lot of the time chicken is less expensive too.

One advantage I could say about fish is that the fats in fish are most likely better for you than the fats in chicken and other poultry. Fish are full of omega-3 and the other fatty acids that are good for you body and brain. You can buy Omega-3 pills though.

Just throwing this out there, but one of the best protein sources (and overall a balanced meal when you look at the carb/protein/fat ratio) is to just eat hard boiled eggs. Personally I love 'em. 6gs of protein per egg (4g for the white and 2g in the yoke). Boil 'em up and just eat like four of 'em and you've had a solid meal right there my friend. At lunch time at work I always go to the salad bar and get the eggs that are already cut and defilmed. I fill up a whole container of egg whites, about 5 ounces, and eat that along with whatever else I get. But no matter what, I always get those eggs. PLUS, egg protein is one of the proteins that your body can absorb 100%, so no wasted protein intake at all. Okay, I'm done rambling about eggs... :lol:
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby Blacksheep » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Nice informative post guys
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I sure as hell won't. - George S. Patton
"The Sheep's Pen"
Blacksheep
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former P4P Champ

Postby lullabyoftheleaves » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:19 am

thank you very much for this post. i've always wondered why people prefer whey protein over soy protein. and now i know.
you have my never ending loyalty and gratitude.
Last edited by lullabyoftheleaves on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
lullabyoftheleaves
White Belt
White Belt

Postby shogun_rua » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:47 am

good read maaan.. though i prolly noe from all those bodybuilding.com articles.
shogun_rua
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby NoneSoVile » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Awesome post, thx man
Image Image
NoneSoVile
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby CCMAR » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Great post man... Thanks
LHK
HW - AO
LHW - Jones, Machida
MW - V. Belfort, Hendo
WW - GSP
LW - Aldo, K-Flo
FW - Sudo
CCMAR
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TheiViyth211 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Ok, being that I been around nutrition for the past 8 years and had classes on this topic, I'm here to slightly contradict the poster's information b/c its not 100% correct for FIGHTERS.

I'm sure the ppl who want to know how much protein they should take in on a daily basis partake in some kind of extreme physcial activity. Well heres how much protein you really need.

While the protein requirements for adult males are less than one gram per kilogram of body weight per day, estimates for ATHLETES based on studies that evaluate nitrogen balance, a product of protein breakdown, suggest that up to 2.5 grams/kilogram/day may be required in exceptional circumstances. However, 2.0 grams/kilogram NOT 1.5 is used by many sports nutritionists as an upper ceiling of protein intake for athletes, weight trainers in particular. (Divide by 2.2 to get protein in grams/pound body weight/day as previously stated.) Much less than this is going to be sufficient for moderate or less intense exercise.

So the original post and topic was in regards to normal ppl who live average lives, without exercise or extreme training such as fighting or other sports.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Chad
“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself” -Charles Manson
TheiViyth211
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby gigica1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:42 am

TheiViyth211 wrote:Ok, being that I been around nutrition for the past 8 years and had classes on this topic, I'm here to slightly contradict the poster's information b/c its not 100% correct for FIGHTERS.

I'm sure the ppl who want to know how much protein they should take in on a daily basis partake in some kind of extreme physcial activity. Well heres how much protein you really need.

While the protein requirements for adult males are less than one gram per kilogram of body weight per day, estimates for ATHLETES based on studies that evaluate nitrogen balance, a product of protein breakdown, suggest that up to 2.5 grams/kilogram/day may be required in exceptional circumstances. However, 2.0 grams/kilogram NOT 1.5 is used by many sports nutritionists as an upper ceiling of protein intake for athletes, weight trainers in particular. (Divide by 2.2 to get protein in grams/pound body weight/day as previously stated.) Much less than this is going to be sufficient for moderate or less intense exercise.

So the original post and topic was in regards to normal ppl who live average lives, without exercise or extreme training such as fighting or other sports.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Chad

The 2.2 mark is not only for athletes...even if you are a guy that lifts weights on a regular basis (6 days a week) and wants to add muscle mass, this quantity applies...

if we are talking exceptional cases, (fighters preparing for a fight), the quantity of protein is even bigger. When you calculate the caloric needs for an 100 kg fighter that wants to have his BFP to 5 % (I never recommend fighters to go below this because they risk tapping in the functional fat area), you wil find that he goes approx. around 5000 cal. The carbs will have to go down, especially in the later part of the day, so he will be left with protein and unsat. fats. At this point, the protein consumption goes up to 3-4 grams/kg of bodyweight.

with this quantity of protein you need to drink at least 4-5 liters of water /day in order to flush the kidneys and keep them healthy
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby timbercutter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm

What about Red Meat protien?....much slower for your body to assimilate because of the fat content...but red meat is excellent for muscle development...it is best consumed later in the day 6+ hours after your workout
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby FCFighter27 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 pm

so there's 3 different opinions...since i've been an avid lifter most of my life, i've always wondered what was the right choice as far as protein and calories per body weight should be...now training for mma, what is the honest amount i should be taking in? Anyone? say i weigh 180lbs...how much protein/calories should i be taking in per day?
Come here, i'll give ya knuckle samich
FCFighter27
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby timbercutter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 pm

FCFighter27 wrote:so there's 3 different opinions...since i've been an avid lifter most of my life, i've always wondered what was the right choice as far as protein and calories per body weight should be...now training for mma, what is the honest amount i should be taking in? Anyone? say i weigh 180lbs...how much protein/calories should i be taking in per day?

don't count my calories...but I weigh 170..on days that I lift I try to get a min. of 140 grams of protien...at least 100 on off days....
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby skimasterflex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:50 pm

I think some of this theory is bunk/excessive.

In college Water Polo we had a nutritionist tell us that our bodies were only capable of putting to good use 50-100grams of protein in a 24 hour period and that it is way more relative to the timing of consumption, and overall exertion. Just lifting weights does not put your body in a position to need more than 50grams in a day.

The closest thing to MMA trained athletes in the Olympics (the only venue that has achieved quality comparative fitness analysis between sports) is the Olympic wrestlers. The only athletes in the Olympics in better physical shape than the wrestlers in both the cardio and overall weight to strength ratios are the Water Polo players who are number 1 in both categories consistently.

Also to you guys eating 6 eggs a day, you're going to die in your late thirties. There are way healthier ways to synthesize complete proteins and they need to be explored if you want to be an athlete and live a long life. No amount of training will rid your system of that much cholesterol, especially if you eat any processed sugars in your diet because sugars inhibit your bodies processing of cholesterol.

Also, and this will be even less popular, cows milk and dairy derived proteins such as whey, casienates and so on are much harder to digest than the people selling you it want you to believe. I'm not saying go soy by any means, but other protein supplements can be found that are very effective for lean muscle building and are derived from rice, hemp, and other non dairy/egg sources that are much more sustainable and holistically healthy for your bodies different systems. Why put on muscle at the expense of your lymphatic, immune, or circulatory systems if you don't have to?

Everyone is different, the first rule of nutrition is to avoid generalities because they could work well for one and not at all for you.

Look into a customized holistic health plan like Eat Right for Your Blood Type and you'll find out what makes your body put on muscle and burn/store fat and you'll also find out how you can be both optimally fit and healthy for the long haul.

Too many athletes falsely assume that whatever puts on muscle must also be good for the rest of the bodies systems, and this is far from the truth.
skimasterflex
White Belt
White Belt

Next

Return to Nutrition