Close
Login
Register

Footwork - Boxing/Brawling to MMA

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Footwork - Boxing/Brawling to MMA

Postby JayDeeHero » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 am

I've been a stand-up guy for years. Did a bit of Boxing in my early years, and i'm thinking of taking Muay Thai classes...possibly going into MMA. What I want to know is, has it been difficult for people who are used to using just their hands to start throwing heavy kicks and even start grappling? I just wanna know i'm not alone if I get frustrated. :lol:
"The Sun shines brighter when you look at it, but it shines regardless. Shine for yourself, not just when people are watching." - Jordan Grenyion-Smith

JayDeeHero
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Footwork - Boxing/Brawling to MMA

Postby Tech » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:41 am

My uncle taught me to box as a kid long before I ever took a Thai class. Don't worry everything will come in time. Remember when you first started punching and it felt like you were always off balance and the punch seemed wrong? Same thing happens with any new type of muscular movement. You just need to build up muscle memory with repeated motions in order to get them down. Just keep working at it man and good luck.
Image Image

(19:38:51) Baga: i heard a russian space station ran into some space junk and fixed the damaged exterior by replacing it with mikes jacket
Tech
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby JohnKG » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 am

JayDeeHero wrote:I've been a stand-up guy for years. Did a bit of Boxing in my early years, and i'm thinking of taking Muay Thai classes...possibly going into MMA. What I want to know is, has it been difficult for people who are used to using just their hands to start throwing heavy kicks and even start grappling? I just wanna know i'm not alone if I get frustrated. :lol:

The most difficult thing you may struggle with in the beginning is the amount of cardio from rapid kicks... much bigger toll than punching... You'll probably feel it in your obliques too....
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby JayDeeHero » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks! I'm sorta going all over, finally taking those Muay Thai classes and doing Kenpo on the side. The footwork is really different, but i'm catching on pretty quickly! :biggrin:
"The Sun shines brighter when you look at it, but it shines regardless. Shine for yourself, not just when people are watching." - Jordan Grenyion-Smith

JayDeeHero
White Belt
White Belt

Postby JohnKG » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 am

JayDeeHero wrote:Thanks! I'm sorta going all over, finally taking those Muay Thai classes and doing Kenpo on the side. The footwork is really different, but i'm catching on pretty quickly! :biggrin:

Yeah... the stance is definately a change... From being turned sideways to opening up.. just concentrate on keeping your bellybutton towards your opponent while moving and punching.. You don't want to turn to much or you won't be able to check leg kicks..
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby MMAdude13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:45 am

I boxed for 5 years before starting muay thai and the two are more different than I initially though.

Your stance in muay thai is a lot more square because you need better balance to fend of kicks and knees, so at first you'll be used to having your front shoulder facing your opponent... which isn't the way to go about muay thai

The cardio is a lot different because your attacking with so many different weapons - also the clinch aspect of the game (which is very very limited in boxing, if at all existent) is a huge part of scoring points in bouts and delivering powerful knees/eblows.

At first it'll feel awkward but just like anything it takes time to feel it out and get used to kicking. You'll probably feel like a retard kicking with your weaker leg because it feels so wrong, but your muscle memory will come around at some point.
"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them"
http://www.the-mixed-martial-arts-of-mma
Sean
MMAdude13
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Stand Up