Close
Login
Register

Favorite Healthy Snacks

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Re: Favorite Healthy Snacks

Postby biscuits69 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 am

ballsmcgee wrote:So, I recently started making my own cliff bar rip offs. It's nice because it's cheap as fuck, not nearly as time consuming/difficult as you might think, and you can completely tailor the nutrition to what you want.
The last batch I made has 38g carbs (18g sugr, 5g fiber), 10.5g fat, 10g protein, at ~290 calories per bar. All ingredients are organic, hippie-dippie goodness and cost less than 50 cents ber bar.

lol sounds good but 18g's of sugar is kinda alot, like a soda :Holy:
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby ballsmcgee » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 pm

biscuits69 wrote:
ballsmcgee wrote:So, I recently started making my own cliff bar rip offs. It's nice because it's cheap as fuck, not nearly as time consuming/difficult as you might think, and you can completely tailor the nutrition to what you want.
The last batch I made has 38g carbs (18g sugr, 5g fiber), 10.5g fat, 10g protein, at ~290 calories per bar. All ingredients are organic, hippie-dippie goodness and cost less than 50 cents ber bar.

I wasn't really sure how much carbs/protein/fat to put in it. I took the ratios found in Clif Bar's chocolate chip. THey have 4.5g fat, 43 g carb (23g sugar), and 10g protein. I thought that the sugar was pretty high so I raised the fat in mine and lowered the sugar. What would you reccomend?
mmaisbetterthancorn wrote:I actually take the time too educated myself.

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Acepitbull » Tue May 29, 2012 10:20 pm

My snacks vary from week to week. This week I"m into toasted Ezekiel bread with honey or almond butter. It hits my sweet tooth.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.-Mark Twain

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.- Confucius
Acepitbull
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Lsquared » Wed May 30, 2012 12:56 am

ballsmcgee wrote:
biscuits69 wrote:

I wasn't really sure how much carbs/protein/fat to put in it. I took the ratios found in Clif Bar's chocolate chip. THey have 4.5g fat, 43 g carb (23g sugar), and 10g protein. I thought that the sugar was pretty high so I raised the fat in mine and lowered the sugar. What would you reccomend?

im not sure because i dont drink pop, but i think soda has a lot more sugar than 18grams?
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby ballsmcgee » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah, a 12 oz. can of Mt. Dew has like 45-50g sugar. A 20 oz bottle has like 75-80!

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:02 am

ballsmcgee wrote:
biscuits69 wrote:

oh i didnt know soda contained that much sugar :shock:

well maybe you could try 8 grams of sugar and 20g's of protein? it will get you full longer and i dont think it will taste too bad?

well if thats not possible my only advice would be to reduce the sugar by however much you can afford to without affecting taste too much
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby ballsmcgee » Wed May 30, 2012 11:10 am

biscuits69 wrote:
ballsmcgee wrote:
biscuits69 wrote:

oh i didnt know soda contained that much sugar :shock:

well maybe you could try 8 grams of sugar and 20g's of protein? it will get you full longer and i dont think it will taste too bad?

well if thats not possible my only advice would be to reduce the sugar by however much you can afford to without affecting taste too much

Definitely will try to drop the sugar but I think 8 grams would be unrealistic. I'd love to raise the protein, but 20g would be hard to get to. Would have to put in a shit ton of whey?
The ingredients I was using are: rolled oats, high protein Kashi breakfast cereal, almonds, pecans, coconut, flax seed, wheat germ, coconut, brown rice syrup, chocolate, and some whey to raise protein. Adding more whey would probably make it taste like shit...any ideas?

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Lsquared » Wed May 30, 2012 11:29 am

thats probably more than 10g protein with the nuts and flax and wheat germ in it...
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Postby ballsmcgee » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

I would have thought so, but according to the nutrition info it isnt. I'm going to get rid of the pecans entirely and just add more almonds next time. This will lower the fat and raise protein. I'm also going to get rid of the coconut entirely as it just adds fat that is probably already too high. Should probably sub peanut butter for the chocolate which will prob up protein/lower sugar...If anyone can think of any other suggestions that would be great.

ballsmcgee
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Just put a scoop of flavored whey in. 20 grams easy.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby Lsquared » Wed May 30, 2012 2:07 pm

ballsmcgee wrote:I would have thought so, but according to the nutrition info it isnt. I'm going to get rid of the pecans entirely and just add more almonds next time. This will lower the fat and raise protein. I'm also going to get rid of the coconut entirely as it just adds fat that is probably already too high. Should probably sub peanut butter for the chocolate which will prob up protein/lower sugar...If anyone can think of any other suggestions that would be great.

well replacing chocolate for pb might lower sugar, but probably offset removing the coconut as far as fat content goes, basically if its gonna taste good and or be edible it will have high fat, and relatively high sugar in it...

doesnt really matter assuming you exercise properly and use the bar as fuel for workouts etc.

but chocolate whey isolate is a good idea
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Postby discoowl » Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 pm

receipt or gtfo :biggrin:
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Previous

Return to Nutrition