Login
Register

Favorite Healthy Snacks

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Re: Favorite Healthy Snacks

Postby detfilteg » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am

Jesuslovesthisguy wrote:
Lsquared wrote:
Jesuslovesthisguy wrote:i always find it so hard to stay on track with eating healthy, there is to many unhealthy amazing tasting foods out there

if you make good choices regarding food for your basic needs, you will find you can eat whatever you want whenever...

indulging is the reward, but too much of anything is almost always a bad thing.

after eating real food for a while you will not crave the processed, transfat loaded garbage anyways...

real food is delicious, but you cant be lazy and expect to be instantly gratified, you have to prep your food and cook it yourself, the microwave generation is doomed to diabetes and heart disease, stroke etc.

its not the lazyness that does it to me, i prepair what i can but i only have so much time inbetween class or before class or during work, its just a another stepping stone, im on the right track tho

I find that taking one day to cook a couple pounds of chicken to eat for the week is pretty effective. Sure you don't get a fresh off the grill piece of chicken everyday but it saves time and still tastes good for at least 2 days. I usually do a couple pounds of chicken and 2 cups of rice with some broccoli and egg. Lasts me a good 2-3 days.

Have to agree with Lsquared as well. I sliced up a pineapple this weekend and it fucking delicious. Way better than any snack food.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Lsquared » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 am

detfilteg wrote:I find that taking one day to cook a couple pounds of chicken to eat for the week is pretty effective. Sure you don't get a fresh off the grill piece of chicken everyday but it saves time and still tastes good for at least 2 days. I usually do a couple pounds of chicken and 2 cups of rice with some broccoli and egg. Lasts me a good 2-3 days.

Have to agree with Lsquared as well. I sliced up a pineapple this weekend and it fucking delicious. Way better than any snack food.

i like to make a big batch of spicy turkey chili, or spaghetti, and eat that for dinner throughout the week...

taking time to grocery shop and prep your food is key, other than that i dont buy junk food because when i get the munchies i will eat it...

no pop is an easy way to start. :idea:
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:58 pm

I went with a couple Mangos the last two weeks, so I guess I'll have to go with Pineapple this weekend since it seems to be the cool thing to do.

I personally enjoy hitting up the bigger named grocery stores 30 mins before they close, and checking the sliced fruit section. I Usually you can find sliced mixed fruit for about 50% off, and its still fucking delcious and wont go bad on you that night. Of course its probably still cheaper to buy and cut it yourself, but it's really nice to come home and know its already cut up for you and all you got to do is put it in the fridge.

Healthy and delcious munch.
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby detfilteg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

THC wrote:I went with a couple Mangos the last two weeks, so I guess I'll have to go with Pineapple this weekend since it seems to be the cool thing to do.

I personally enjoy hitting up the bigger named grocery stores 30 mins before they close, and checking the sliced fruit section. I Usually you can find sliced mixed fruit for about 50% off, and its still fucking delcious and wont go bad on you that night. Of course its probably still cheaper to buy and cut it yourself, but it's really nice to come home and know its already cut up for you and all you got to do is put it in the fridge.

Healthy and delcious munch.

Pineapple is not only cool it is fucking [email protected]!!!

Pineapple also contains the enzyme bromelain which is good for helping recude swelling and inflammation by blocking kinins from forming. Eat them between meals, because if you don't the enzyme will be used up during digestion instead of being used for the reduction of inflammation.

Also a good source of managese and vitamin C.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby taichitoo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 am

to be honest, for a good carb boost, i'm a huge cereal fanatic. anything with some fiber in it and low in sugar is a great little "meal substitute" and it takes little prep, is cheap, and fast. and milk isn't bad for you either.

Blame Canada (and GSP & JDToronto)

Grace is what matters... it keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you open for more understanding.
taichitoo
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby chroniclee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Jesuslovesthisguy wrote:
Lsquared wrote:
Jesuslovesthisguy wrote:i always find it so hard to stay on track with eating healthy, there is to many unhealthy amazing tasting foods out there

if you make good choices regarding food for your basic needs, you will find you can eat whatever you want whenever...

indulging is the reward, but too much of anything is almost always a bad thing.

after eating real food for a while you will not crave the processed, transfat loaded garbage anyways...

real food is delicious, but you cant be lazy and expect to be instantly gratified, you have to prep your food and cook it yourself, the microwave generation is doomed to diabetes and heart disease, stroke etc.

its not the lazyness that does it to me, i prepair what i can but i only have so much time inbetween class or before class or during work, its just a another stepping stone, im on the right track tho

It is difficult being a working student. One of the main things that I do is on Sundays I roast a bunch of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash, then mash them up and then I have a huge pile of side for the next few days. In the morning I eat that with scrambled eggs, for dinner I grill a piece of chicken or fry some fish in orange juice, and warm up a big pile of frozen vegetables. Making a big pile of side dish I find helps me the most, because the meat portion can be prepared in 10-15 minutes and during that warming up frozen veggies is a sinch.
chroniclee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Lsquared » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

chroniclee wrote:It is difficult being a working student. One of the main things that I do is on Sundays I roast a bunch of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash, then mash them up and then I have a huge pile of side for the next few days. In the morning I eat that with scrambled eggs, for dinner I grill a piece of chicken or fry some fish in orange juice, and warm up a big pile of frozen vegetables. Making a big pile of side dish I find helps me the most, because the meat portion can be prepared in 10-15 minutes and during that warming up frozen veggies is a sinch.

i would recommend fresh veggies only bcoz you lose a little of the nutritional value through freezing and processing...

but you are certainly aware of the importance of real food, i like to cook a bunch of chicken breasts on sunday and just refrigerate and cut them up and put into a salad, with your choice of fixings...veggies, nuts and a simple homemade vinagreitte
im getting hungry as i type.
Truth Does Not Demand Belief
68-18 - 7-3
Lsquared
Propaganda Agent

Accolades: Former Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 am

Lsquared wrote:
chroniclee wrote:It is difficult being a working student. One of the main things that I do is on Sundays I roast a bunch of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash, then mash them up and then I have a huge pile of side for the next few days. In the morning I eat that with scrambled eggs, for dinner I grill a piece of chicken or fry some fish in orange juice, and warm up a big pile of frozen vegetables. Making a big pile of side dish I find helps me the most, because the meat portion can be prepared in 10-15 minutes and during that warming up frozen veggies is a sinch.

i would recommend fresh veggies only bcoz you lose a little of the nutritional value through freezing and processing...

but you are certainly aware of the importance of real food, i like to cook a bunch of chicken breasts on sunday and just refrigerate and cut them up and put into a salad, with your choice of fixings...veggies, nuts and a simple homemade vinagreitte

I do the same thing with chicken. I cook up a whole family pack at a time, maybe 15-16 boneless skinless thighs, and when I'm hungry I just pull one out of the fridge and eat it. Depending on my shift, I sometime freeze them and take out a couple before work so I can eat them when I get home. Also, plain chicken is surprisingly tasty.

edit: Just wanted to add, good call on the yam fries. Way better for you than regular potato fries and just as tasty.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby supermanpunch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 am

exsanguinator wrote:
Lsquared wrote:

I do the same thing with chicken. I cook up a whole family pack at a time, maybe 15-16 boneless skinless thighs, and when I'm hungry I just pull one out of the fridge and eat it. Depending on my shift, I sometime freeze them and take out a couple before work so I can eat them when I get home. Also, plain chicken is surprisingly tasty.

edit: Just wanted to add, good call on the yam fries. Way better for you than regular potato fries and just as tasty.

^chicken club on a wholewheat bread is my thing and since you like cucumbers try this one, slice the cucumbers just like you do and here is the condiment, get a condiment plate put some good amount of vinegar on it, put a teaspoon of crushed peppers on it, a teaspoon of sugar and a very little pinch of salt.
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Grapes.

I could eat these things for days. :D
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby BIGsmalls » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 am

broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, cauliflower, lettuce

I grab it all cut it up and eat it with whatever else i am eating
BIGsmalls
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby cu10 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 pm

animals
move heavy weight a long distance
eat things that once had a heartbeat
sleep
cu10
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

I've recently began to replace lettuce with spinach. Anything that I would have put lettuce on before I now use spinach. It's already paying dividends.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm

cu10 wrote:animals

You realize that most "animals" would qualify as "unhealthy," right?
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:59 pm

exsanguinator wrote:I've recently began to replace lettuce with spinach. Anything that I would have put lettuce on before I now use spinach. It's already paying dividends.

This is a wise choice, my friend. I'm still eating nowhere near as many greens as I should be, but when I do, I try to use Spinach instead of iceberg lettuce whenever possible. The energy required to ingest and digest iceberg lettuce (much like celery) requires more calories than the food provides :lol:
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition