Close
Login
Register

Favorite armbar set up?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Favorite armbar set up?

Postby Fedor the machine » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Hey everyone,
i was wondering, whats everyones pefered method of setting an armbar up when someones in your guard? i always do the standard arm drag but make it far to obvious that im going for armbars. I think the foot in the hip is a huge give away to a lot of people. I also try chokes to armsbars (collar chokes). Any advice for me?
Fedor the machine
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Favorite armbar set up?

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:10 am

i like to set it up from a hundred percenter. start with attempting the hundred percenter and if they slip their arm out swing your hips back around and take the arm bar
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Fedor the machine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 am

what is the hundred percenter, if you don't mind me asking?
Fedor the machine
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ghostdude8 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Fedor the machine wrote:Hey everyone,
i was wondering, whats everyones pefered method of setting an armbar up when someones in your guard? i always do the standard arm drag but make it far to obvious that im going for armbars. I think the foot in the hip is a huge give away to a lot of people. I also try chokes to armsbars (collar chokes). Any advice for me?

the more you practice it, the easier it'll be. just try to control there wrists and bait them into the armbar, jiu jitsu is pretty much a chess match most of the time.
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Fedor the machine wrote:what is the hundred percenter, if you don't mind me asking?

its hard to explain. when someone is in your guard with their hands on you hips, you swim one of your arms between their arm and their body. swim it all the way through so you can lock your hands. then pry their arm off your hip, and shift your weight onto your side. shifting your weight will bring their arm up to your neck. from there you crunch your body sideways and it hyper extends their elbow.

i know that probly wont be much help but ask your instructor, he might be able to show you. i looked for a video on it but i could only find one on the hundred percent sweep.

also, i love diving for arm bars from the back as well
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby ultimate_fighter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:58 pm

well i always get caught in armbars, only been tapped twice with it this week tho. its always when im posturing up too, anyone got advice for me about how to avoid it?
also happens with triangles but i just walk over them and bam im in sidecontrol.
ultimate_fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Fedor the machine » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:41 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:
Fedor the machine wrote:what is the hundred percenter, if you don't mind me asking?

its hard to explain. when someone is in your guard with their hands on you hips, you swim one of your arms between their arm and their body. swim it all the way through so you can lock your hands. then pry their arm off your hip, and shift your weight onto your side. shifting your weight will bring their arm up to your neck. from there you crunch your body sideways and it hyper extends their elbow.

i know that probly wont be much help but ask your instructor, he might be able to show you. i looked for a video on it but i could only find one on the hundred percent sweep.

also, i love diving for arm bars from the back as well

no i know exactly what your talking about, i've learned that one quite a few times. But we do gi, so its hard to swim under.

and diving armbars are great because very few people expect them.

i was just wondering of some armbar to drill for an upcoming tournament i'm in, sense i dislike triangles so much.
Fedor the machine
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Fedor the machine » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:46 pm

ultimate_fighter wrote:well i always get caught in armbars, only been tapped twice with it this week tho. its always when im posturing up too, anyone got advice for me about how to avoid it?
also happens with triangles but i just walk over them and bam im in sidecontrol.

first never let one of your arms get passed your centerline, if someones armdragging you try and get your arm back in the original position, but dont over do it, and try and jerk it out because it could lead to a flower sweep.

If you can't manage to do that, if they have already got your arm in position, grab the bicep of the opposite arm being armbared, with the arm being armbared. Say if they are trying to armbar your right arm, grab your left bicep, when they go to put their leg over your head,(if we are using the same positioning as the example) and grab on the inside of the leg thats going over your head.
From there try and use your left foot to step all the way over their head, and hopefully you end up in north south.

Edit: oh one more thing, always keep your elbows in between their legs, and never reach out.
Fedor the machine
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Headhunter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 am

i like to go for an omoplata from guard, they pin my leg from swinging out, i grab the arm pinning me, underhook the leg and attempt to flower sweep, they base out, i go for arm bar and they are too extended to posture. only thing i catch blue belts with off my back
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby ShadowMoses42 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 pm

iunno...i never go for amrbarrs because i suck at them...but on the same token...i think they are easy to escape from so i let people armbarr me in BJJ class and i usually gain position out of it...
We will always remember you for your undeniable logic in every single instance ever; there is now an empty void in all of our hearts that can never again be filled, unless it is with your unequivocal passion and love
ShadowMoses42
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Location: making ryyonvin cry with his superior BJJ skills in Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Postby mrfurlupple » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:40 am

my favorite way to setup an armbar is weird. i get into a north/south position, and kinda let them up, then get almost in position to go for an anaconda, but instead i like to go over their back and armbar from there. hella fun :)
mrfurlupple
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby jesse-rhino » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:25 am

i lk to put knee on the belly lol n he will use his far hand to push it off then ill use one of my hands to hook under the guys arm to the hand thats pushing me n swing all th way around him n get it.it works for me evrey time =D
hopefully yall get it :lol:
jesse-rhino
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am

There's an omplata sweep that I like to use to end up on top. I usually go for the arm bar from there. It works about 50/50 for me but I'm not very good at armbars.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby halal pig » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 pm

[quote="mrfurlupple"]my favorite way to setup an armbar is weird. i get into a north/south position, and kinda let them up, then get almost in position to go for an anaconda, but instead i like to go over their back and armbar from there. hella fun :)[/quote]

that seems kinda similar to the one gsp got on hughes (3rd). like i have n/s go for a americana straighten it and get an armbar. from wat u say it seems like u start with a choke and transition.
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Legitsu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:20 pm

well my favorite set up is from mount right into spider web position. basically check mate.
Daniel Cormier=Black Fedor=BLEDOR! (copy rited term)

Sigbet record
2-2

Deathclutch is tapout for fat people.
Legitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Next

Return to Ground Game