Close
Login
Register

EA UFC: As shit as it gets

Share pictures, videos, sounds, games, GIFs etc..

EA UFC: As shit as it gets

Postby jamescydonia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Played the demo for about 12-15 hours straight with my freind (both been playing mma games since pride/ufc on the ps2, played the hell out of the undisputed series and ea mma).

First impressions were that it *looks* very nice. The graphics are awesome.

Second impressions are that the game is shit, shallow and arcadey. Both a big leap back in grappling and a slap in the face of technical striking. Everything looks exciting, but at the expense of gameplay and realism. It's just... disappointing to say the least.

Despite visual effects like bruising and blood. You can't build up damage over the course of a fight (so no gradual wearing down of an opponent). You need to quickly flurry and successively hit the same area over and over in order to rock them into an incapacitated state and finish, otherwise damage done is healed after 10 seconds or so.

You can't get a leg kick tko, you can only temporarily make an opponent move slower. So combined with the healing above, they are next to pointless.

Straight punches can only be done when stationary, so no darting around on the outside of hooks throwing straights.

It's both too fast and too slow. The fighters seem to have infinite stamina and fight at 100 mph, but input lag means that attacks are queued like Fight Night Champion, which you can't break out of. You can't block quick enough after throwing an attack, and attacks don't interupt an opponent's attack, so you end up with just a sloppy brawl. Parry is also held down rather than being a twitch reaction.

It takes almost no stamina to do special moves, so you can spam the most riddiculous, jumping, reverse, spinning, tornado, cartwheel, backflip, butterfly, wheel, bicycle, helicopter kicks with no penalty whatsoever like a spasticated Eddie Gordo at all times.

Most of these are unpunishable and can't be interrupted, not even by leg or push kick.

However, said moves (all moves) do verrry little damage. You can eat reverse turning kicks for breakfast.
Special attacks, particularly kicks, should do way more damage, take way more stamina to do and be way more dangerous to attempt.

There is no sprawl. Takedowns are difficult to defend against: once an opponent has touched you, there's nothing you can do about it.

No ability to flatten out backmount
No crucafix
No rubberguard
No minor transitions, only major
No punching a KO'd opponent
Can't catch kicks
Can't damage oponent by checking kicks
You fall over if you kick someone on the ground
No feinting
No stopping an attack after it has been launched
Can't move someone around the cage on the ground
Transition from half guard top has no animation difference between going left and right, so choosing which direction to defend is a total gamble.
Bizare UFC Undisputed flick dodging instead of the fight night style.
Got the weird Undisputed unfluid rock em sock em combo thing too cus of the button instead of stick controls.

Ref stands you up in no time at all from the ground: you can be in side mount, even FULL mount and if there's not much going on for about 8 seconds then you'll get stood up. However, you can wall and stall for infinity.

The most basic, simple to do transition from guard puts you into full mount.

From full mount, postured up, using hooks, undefended... it takes about 20+ clean hits to knock someone out. Totally lacking in oomph, character seems to possess strange pillow fists.

Only good things I can see from the demo are:

The graphics.

That each fighter has 4 special passive traits (like Jon Jones has more damaging elbows, and another that gives him more damaging elbows and knees; makes for more unique fighters).

That the submission system as far as I can see eliminates cheating by use of turbo controllers (though the mark which appears to signify which direction to push in order to advance submission is far too small, and difficult to see when you are using your peripheral vision).

In summary, there are a lot of people on the internet saying this game is great... and either they have no idea what they're talking about, or they're being paid off. The grappling is comparable/worse than the first UFC Undisputed, with a terrible ref and abysmal, arcadey standup that seems much more inclined to encourage flashy special moves than any kind of technical set ups, tricks, combos.

Should have just taken the grappling from UFC 3, with the standup mechanics from EA MMA and the variety of UFC 3, but with better animations. Doesn't seem like that much of a task, but apparently it was.

...I'll probably still get it, as now they have a monopoly on MMA and I need to use ps4 for something :lol:

4/10
Favourie fighters:
Fedor Emelianenko, Genki Sudo, Mark Hunt, Don Frye, Josh Barnett, Minowaman, Mousasi, Chris Barnett, Maldonado, Del Rosario

ImageImage
jamescydonia
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Re: EA UFC: As shit as it gets

Postby Indra » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 pm

No way I'm picking that up, I don't buy EA games anyway because EA fucking blows as a company and treats their employees like shit.

But I did just get Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for $5 on Steam the other day!
"We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for." -Mr. Han
Indra
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby tron8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Never bought any of the UFC games. But played UFC 3 for a little bit.
I enjoyed reading your break down and the lack of anything makes this a definite rental for me. (When i eventually get a Xbone) lol.

"Fuck your mother" and "Show me the money bitches" - Moose
tron8
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Junior Dos Santos » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 pm

Funny you made this post. I almost talked myself into getting an Xbox One just because of this game. My buddies and I love UFC 3 and play almost everyday. I wanted the new game, but glad I didn't go through with it. After watching countless gameplay on youtube, it looks like complete shit. Your analysis of the game only proves what I was thinking. So shitty because I loved UFC 3 with a passion and have played than game more than any other game in my life.
"You gotta kill me in this mug"
ImageImage

2-0
JD-ICE - Elite 8 Tag Team Champs!!
Junior Dos Santos
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby seb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Game came out in Australia and I did what all MMA and gamer fans do. Took the day off work to play it.

I'm glad you made this post because I was about to write one up!

The game is absolute shit house! There's no point of strategy just rock em sock em style fighting which is only fun for like half an hour. The game misses a load of great fighters including a champ.

Overall I give it about a 2 out 10, I rate it so lowly mainly because they have evidently decided they can sell future copies if they start off shit. I don't understand why the couldn't look at UFC 3 and see parts to improve rather than start from scratch. Apart from the inability to KO from leg kicks the worst thing is the lack of difference between fighters, apart from 1 or 2 moves per player, since when has Gustaffson ever thrown tornado kick or jones throwing a cartwheel kick.

I'm especially pissed off because i've followed this game on the forums since day 1, main reason i bought a ps4 rather than waiting with my ps3, and it looked like they were doing everything right (good marketing i guess), they were asking forums what people wanted, 'saying' the right things. Then it looked like they decided to say fuck you everyone you'll have this until we you buy our next game because we have exclusive rights.
"Common sense is not so common" Voltaire
seb
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby 6RANDON1POSEY9 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Yup...Played it on my friends PS4 yesterday....I'll stick with UFC 3...
Image Image
6RANDON1POSEY9
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Linker's Ultimate Can

Postby mmafan559 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 pm

EA is a piece of shit company that continues to produce piece of shit games that for some reason continue to sell.

People are stupid.
Join https://discord.gg/tTqYyMc on fight nights.
MMA nerds only.
Don't be scared, homie.
I have over 3,000 likes on Sherdog.
BrdrOkm69 wrote:You can be butthurt as much as you'd like, but keep that pain deep inside your butt where it belongs.

Mr Meow wrote:i log off linker and enjoy a meal out and am thinking about my disdain for mcgregor the whole time

DeceptaCon wrote:truth needs not an explanation it just is

nate diaz wrote:touch butt
mmafan559
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby JTuck34 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 am

Damn, man. Detailed write up. Thanks a lot man. :tup: I was actually considering the xbox one recently just for this game, Now i think i'll play it at a friend's place first to confirm the shittiness.
7-3
JTuck34
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert

Postby jjmmajkd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 am

I knew this game would suck when I saw the aldo pettis gameplay trailer.
jjmmajkd
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: First "Guess da Linka" Champion
WAG Champion
First Video Mod
Served on the front lines during the "Asian Invasion"
Made the Zuffa Video Threads
Banned 6RANDON1POSEY9

Postby ipizzle3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:21 am

mmafan559 wrote:EA is a piece of shit company that continues to produce piece of shit games that for some reason continue to sell.

People are stupid.

Wrong, things ncaa football was amazing it made Madden look like a joke. Also nhl is bad ass, besides that ea does suck. I expected UFC to suck on ea, the strike force fans was a joke.

Sig Bet Record 25-15
ipizzle3
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Neebs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 am

I was never going to buy a next gen console because pc is a zillion times better but this just re-enforces why its a bad idea to get one. Also it looks like they made bruce lee a million times better than he actually was. The game developer at E3 demo said "bruce lee is no slouch on the ground" i knew this game would suck as soon as i heard that.
Neebs
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby ipizzle3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:27 am

Neebs wrote:I was never going to buy a next gen console because pc is a zillion times better but this just re-enforces why its a bad idea to get one.

What is it with gaming on computers? I don't see the fun in it. Plus most people I saw gaming on those were all pimple face loners that play wow. I haven't seen a game that makes me want the new Xbox.

Sig Bet Record 25-15
ipizzle3
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Neebs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:30 am

ipizzle3 wrote:
Neebs wrote:I was never going to buy a next gen console because pc is a zillion times better but this just re-enforces why its a bad idea to get one.

What is it with gaming on computers? I don't see the fun in it. Plus most people I saw gaming on those were all pimple face loners that play wow. I haven't seen a game that makes me want the new Xbox.

PC is much more powerful, the graphics is no competition. And multiplayer is usually way better because you generally dont have 12 year olds playing. Also you never actually have to purchase a game, torrent everything.
Neebs
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TaeKwonDolt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:54 am

EA ruined the my favorite game of all time (Ultima Online). I played that game from 7th grade to 12th grade in high school and they just fucking ruined it. Apart from purchasing sports games like Fifa or NHL I avoid patronizing them.

I'm glad I own UFC3 and still haven't upgraded to XB1...haha (Ralph Wiggum Voice)
TaeKwonDolt
Gaming Commission
Gaming Commission

Accolades: Mar. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Survivor

Postby jjmmajkd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:08 am

ipizzle3 wrote:

The online is free, They have every game a console has and more, a much bigger diversity of game generas, better controls for first person shooters, you can use an Xbox controller on your pc if you don't want to use key board and mouse, key boards have way more buttons, Emulators, PC has way better graphics,A huge modding community,and any survival horror game that is worth getting is on PC.

Saying that only pimple faced loners who like wow play PC shows you really don't know anything about PC gaming as a whole. Next gen consoles are going to suck and have no games that can't be ported over to PC.
jjmmajkd

Accolades: First "Guess da Linka" Champion
WAG Champion
First Video Mod
Served on the front lines during the "Asian Invasion"
Made the Zuffa Video Threads
Banned 6RANDON1POSEY9

Next

Return to Pictures and Multimedia