Close
Login
Register

during workout drink?

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

during workout drink?

Postby halal pig » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:55 pm

so sometimes ive got workouts between 2.5-3 hours at a time. there is one small break to get water but i was wondering if there is something better than water to replenish. i was thinking about biotest surge. has anyone heard of it/use it? i just want something fast digesting that wont leave me puking for the rest of my workout with some electrolytes. i dont really want to use gatorade, just never hear anyone say anything good about it.
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Re: during workout drink?

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:03 pm

halal pig wrote:electrolytes.

Coconut water. I drink 24 oz throughout my 2 hour grappling class. I wouldn't drink more than 24 oz though; tends to "loosen the bowels" if you drink more than that. Never had any nausea problems though, with any amount.

As a back up to this if I don't have my CW is a 3 to 1 mixture of pure fruit juice to water.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby Smith » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

The thing about Gatorade and Powerade is that it should be cut. Mix a 1/4 Gatorade to 3/4 Water mix otherwise it's just far too much sugar and will make you sick.
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby halal pig » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

coconut water? really? where do you get it and whats the calorie content of it like? one reason i was looking into that surge stuff is because its got some protein. im not sure if thats good during but i will look into the cw. thank you
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:37 pm

halal pig wrote:coconut water? really? where do you get it and whats the calorie content of it like? one reason i was looking into that surge stuff is because its got some protein. im not sure if thats good during but i will look into the cw. thank you

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut ... cts/3115/2

I tend to shy away from protein during the workouts (maybe a little on lifting days, though) rather than post-workout. Even then, you should be careful to distinguish between cardio/conditioning post-workout protein requirements (which are comparatively low) and strength training post-workout protein requirements (which are comparatively high).
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Postby halal pig » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:32 pm

wow i just looked into it. looks really good. where do u recommend buying it though? i see it on amazon for 26 bucks for 18, 16 oz. or can it be found in a store?
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 pm

halal pig wrote:wow i just looked into it. looks really good. where do u recommend buying it though? i see it on amazon for 26 bucks for 18, 16 oz. or can it be found in a store?

well that's one thing about it :lol: . it's pretty expensive. I get it from a wholesaler my company uses to buy other stuff so I pay about 10 cents an ounce (for 12 - 34 oz bottles).

The deal you found on amazon is roughly 11 cents /oz so i'd say that's pretty good. I use vita coco and it's great--i can't speak to the quality of any other brand, though.

Also make sure it's coconut WATER and not coconut milk, meat or juice as those three have vastly different nutritional profiles.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Postby JohnKG » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:59 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:
halal pig wrote:wow i just looked into it. looks really good. where do u recommend buying it though? i see it on amazon for 26 bucks for 18, 16 oz. or can it be found in a store?

well that's one thing about it :lol: . it's pretty expensive. I get it from a wholesaler my company uses to buy other stuff so I pay about 10 cents an ounce (for 12 - 34 oz bottles).

The deal you found on amazon is roughly 11 cents /oz so i'd say that's pretty good. I use vita coco and it's great--i can't speak to the quality of any other brand, though.

Also make sure it's coconut WATER and not coconut milk, meat or juice as those three have vastly different nutritional profiles.

I've ran across some Indian/Hispanic stores and a couple of them have had some Coconut Water. I'm not sure if it was a good price but the Indian spot down the street from my apartment has a liter for $4.99. Which I just put in seperate water botttles.
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby sammcl » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 am

I drink two scoops of this when I train.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/purple.html
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby grasshopp3r63 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Coconut water is great, but more often than not it induces frequent peeing. Mix it with fresh milk (50 percent each) and you have a damn fine healthy tasty drink.
grasshopp3r63
White Belt
White Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm

grasshopp3r63 wrote:Coconut water is great, but more often than not it induces frequent peeing

? Mixing this with milk has nothing to do with urination frequency. 24oz of pretty much any liquid taken at once will make you pee inside an hour.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Postby JohnKG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:13 pm

grasshopp3r63 wrote:Coconut water is great, but more often than not it induces frequent peeing. Mix it with fresh milk (50 percent each) and you have a damn fine healthy tasty drink.

Should you drink milk during a workout?
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby shawn2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:42 am

edited for trolling -ex
shawn2
White Belt
White Belt

Postby timbercutter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:55 pm

great question...my workout is also about 3 hours...all I do is down a mug of whey protein about an hour in.....but I really havent researched this topic at all.................
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby MikeRoger » Sat May 07, 2011 7:33 am

timbercutter wrote:great question...my workout is also about 3 hours...all I do is down a mug of whey protein about an hour in.....but I really havent researched this topic at all.................

I typically keep my workouts under 60 minutes. Short and intense. But I forget some folks like higher volume for longer duration. If so, BCAAs can be helpful (especially when super lean to help feed those muscles).Of all the BCAA products, I keep going back to Scivation Xtend. Tastes the best to me and easy to mix. But I don't typically use it unless dieting down to under 10% bodyfat.
MikeRoger
White Belt
White Belt

Next

Return to Nutrition