Close
Login
Register

does judo help bjj (no gi)???

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

does judo help bjj (no gi)???

Postby Zazu. » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:30 pm

i started bjj(nogi) training about a month ago, but for some reasons i wont be able to practice anymore but i just might be able to get some judo lessons, I'm just interested in practicing the ground game more than anything, the throws in judo and everything else are just a bonus, but my concern is that judo's ground game isn't as complete as bjj's besides I'm not really sure about wearing a gi, i've heard many bad things about it like that it creates bad habits and many techniques don't work without the gi, so i'm asking for your opinion... do you think judos ground game is as good as bjjs or does the gi, throws and different objectives put judo behind bjj?

i don't really know how judo is played, but in mma i've never heard anything about judos ground game all i hear about is good throws, everything in the ground is bjj so im concerned about judos ground effectiveness so can you give me your thoughts on this, specially if you have had a problem like this or you're a judoka that can fill in the gaps for me. thx
Image Image Image

Zazu.
White Belt
White Belt

Re: does judo help bjj (no gi)???

Postby Krim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Personally I find BJJ better for the ground, but Judo is still pretty good. It really depends on where you go. Many schools focus more on the throws because that is where the big points are in Judo competition, but some schools do give a great deal of focus to the ground game as well.
If you get the chance to train in it, I say go for it. It will teach you great throws and a lot of ground basics which are similar to BJJ. It will give you an adge if you decide to take BJJ again.
Krim
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Officialaccount » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:57 pm

If your worried about training with a gi in my opinion it helps since it makes the game much more technical. Its harder to brute force your way out of moves and you have to learn to defend against even more attacks which if you can do it, would make no gi seem easy in comparison.
Favorites
Dan Henderson
Anderson Silva
Quinton Jackson
Amir Sadollah
Forrest Griffin
Ricardo Almeida
Demian Maia
Efrain Escudero
DaMarques Johnson
Image Image
http://TinyIslandHosting.com
Officialaccount
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Headhunter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:07 am

i've been doin judo and jiu-jitsu for over 10 years and i'll tell you right now it's the same exact thing. the difference is the emphasis. in BJJ you get points for passing guard, submission attempts and sweeps from bottom to top and in judo you get points for throws... but they all have the same exact moves, that's why you can still submit people in judo even though throwing is a big thing for judo. carlson gracie learned to grapple from a judoka before he made BJJ but he was not learning how to compete in judo so he was not into the train of thought of emphasis and could freely learn both styles just by learning all the moves from one.

if you are trying to learn something in your down time i highly recommend taking judo because like i said, people who train BJJ rarely put emphasis on throws, they prefer to pull you in and pull guard and stuff, but just imagine what you can do if you are versing someone who is pulling guard constantly while you are able to hip toss and go directly from standing up into side mount.

the rules in judo also actually complement the rules in jiu-jitsu even if the emphasis is different, it's not like wrestling. if you wrestle, you want to avoid being on the back as much as possible, that's exactly how you lose... in jiu-jitsu, you want to avoid being belly down and you learn both styles based off of those rules. when you have taken multiple martial arts like wrestling, judo and jiu-jitsu you realize that the only difference between one style and another are the rules of engagement and they make the biggest, and really... the only difference... but for someone extremely new like you, it makes enough difference that i would not recommend wrestling because you do not have your own foundation and it can be confusing, so yea... go for judo
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby StinkFist » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:03 am

I'm a practicing Judoka, and I actualy prefer judo even though I've always loved the ground game. Maybe because my dojo is basicaly split down the middle on ground and standup. So yeah, you do have to search for the right place that focus alot on ground, but there are restrictions; like no leg locks or neck cranks. Most dojo's barely do any ground but are just awsome with throws, I mean I have tapped out some black belts in my time and I'm orange, but they just murdered me with throws. My class is good in stand up, but when any other club wants to go to the ground with us, they are prety much fucked.
Ground with Gi is very important, for the fact that it does give you a more technical start and it is more reality based. grips are important, if you happen to get into a fight on the streets, how often do you and the other guy wear nothing but shorts.
and if you get well versed with the gi, believe me you will find no gi easy.
Also, when I went against bjj guys it was like throwing a kid around. Judokas also have great top control, so if you know how to throw and keep top control then there is no need to pull gaurd out of nowhere.
My advise is to do what i did and just look up on the internet for cool moves from bjj, judo and sombo, and apply them when you are in your class.
TSIMSHIAN REVOLUTION
StinkFist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:43 pm

thanks for all the answers i really apreach it

but i dont have acess to jiu jitsu here,in my city there isnt any school that teachs jiu jitsu,only judo at my school
Lyoto Machida: "Karate is back!"
GSP: "I’m very happy that I learned Karate when I was young."
Mike Ciesnolevicz: "Karate when taught the right way can be highly effective."

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:54 pm

i gona take judo,but the judo is in my achually school there is a gym teacher that trains judo for 30 years and he teachs students who wont to learn,

i have always dedicate myself to just lift weigths for years,but i have been training for some time muay thai i am still a begginer

so you think that taekwondo crossed with judo is a god ideia?
Lyoto Machida: "Karate is back!"
GSP: "I’m very happy that I learned Karate when I was young."
Mike Ciesnolevicz: "Karate when taught the right way can be highly effective."

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby irishjudoka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Headhunter wrote:i've been doin judo and jiu-jitsu for over 10 years and i'll tell you right now it's the same exact thing. the difference is the emphasis. in BJJ you get points for passing guard, submission attempts and sweeps from bottom to top and in judo you get points for throws... but they all have the same exact moves, that's why you can still submit people in judo even though throwing is a big thing for judo. carlson gracie learned to grapple from a judoka before he made BJJ but he was not learning how to compete in judo so he was not into the train of thought of emphasis and could freely learn both styles just by learning all the moves from one.

if you are trying to learn something in your down time i highly recommend taking judo because like i said, people who train BJJ rarely put emphasis on throws, they prefer to pull you in and pull guard and stuff, but just imagine what you can do if you are versing someone who is pulling guard constantly while you are able to hip toss and go directly from standing up into side mount.

the rules in judo also actually complement the rules in jiu-jitsu even if the emphasis is different, it's not like wrestling. if you wrestle, you want to avoid being on the back as much as possible, that's exactly how you lose... in jiu-jitsu, you want to avoid being belly down and you learn both styles based off of those rules. when you have taken multiple martial arts like wrestling, judo and jiu-jitsu you realize that the only difference between one style and another are the rules of engagement and they make the biggest, and really... the only difference... but for someone extremely new like you, it makes enough difference that i would not recommend wrestling because you do not have your own foundation and it can be confusing, so yea... go for judo

couldent have put it better myself. +100
irishjudoka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby beastman4 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Zazu. wrote:i started bjj(nogi) training about a month ago, but for some reasons i wont be able to practice anymore but i just might be able to get some judo lessons, I'm just interested in practicing the ground game more than anything, the throws in judo and everything else are just a bonus, but my concern is that judo's ground game isn't as complete as bjj's besides I'm not really sure about wearing a gi, i've heard many bad things about it like that it creates bad habits and many techniques don't work without the gi, so i'm asking for your opinion... do you think judos ground game is as good as bjjs or does the gi, throws and different objectives put judo behind bjj?

i don't really know how judo is played, but in mma i've never heard anything about judos ground game all i hear about is good throws, everything in the ground is bjj so im concerned about judos ground effectiveness so can you give me your thoughts on this, specially if you have had a problem like this or you're a judoka that can fill in the gaps for me. thx

Judo and Jujitsu have the same origins so Judo will definitely help your ground game. As far as the gi and no gi techniques you just have to mentally separate the two (its a personal battle if you train with a gi, but even bjj places train with gi now). Some of the gi techniques can be used to defend yourself on the street too just replace a gi with shirt. Practice is practice, and practice is always good when it comes to martial arts.
beastman4
White Belt
White Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Headhunter wrote:i've been doin judo and jiu-jitsu for over 10 years and i'll tell you right now it's the same exact thing. the difference is the emphasis.

This. My Judo Sensei actually has a bunch of pictures with him and the Gracies and he always laughs because people come in and talk about Matt Serra (I live on Long Island) and he tells them that he has been doing the same chokes ect as Serra since before Serra was born lol.

You can learn a lot from Judo and use it all in BJJ competitions. I am not undefeated in BJJ but I have never been taken down lol. If Judo is your only option I say do it 1000%.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby shitoryukaratejudoca » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 pm

fuck yeah
shitoryukaratejudoca
White Belt
White Belt

Postby daaalvarado » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm

In BJJ no gi hmm? I'm no expert in judo but I think that freestyle or greco would help you more in No Gi, in Gi BJJ I think Judo will help you more.

Judo guys are very tough, they are very fast and have amazing base. Rules affect how sport/martial arts are practiced and taught so if you are interested in BJJ no gi I recommend a school that focuses primarily on that, but if you can't then Judo is definitely a solid martial art for the ground.

And always remember that the art doesn't make you good, what makes you good is you dedication and willingness to learn. I mean look at Koji Komuro or Kashiwazaki they are better at ground fighting than a lot of BJJ blackbelts.
daaalvarado
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby beast775 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I'll add something better when i've got time, but i can tell you this for sure; BJJ guys are always amazed at a judoka's grip strength.
beast775
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Return to Ground Game