Close
Login
Register

Different belt systems between 10th planet and BJJ?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Different belt systems between 10th planet and BJJ?

Postby FEAR » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

*Disclaimer* :geek:
THIS IS NOT A GRIEVANCE AGAINST 10TH PLANET. I have no problem with their system. For awhile i sometimes would use rubber guard because I have some flexibility, but I enjoy other guards and strategies for my game. The 10th planet guy I'm talking about is also a really nice person and helped me improve some parts of my top game.

Story time:

A long time ago, a new guy walked into the gym and wore a gi with a white belt. And then I rolled with him. This guy was beating me left and right. All I thought was "man, i've done this less than a year, but I shouldn't be this bad". I talked to him afterwards and found out that he was a purple belt in the 10th planet system. I thought that was interesting and talked to him about a couple different things that I needed to change up. After this I've noticed that it is a trend to have guys have different belts in 10th planet and BJJ. I found this odd since 10th planet is derived from BJJ and since nogi techniques 95% of the time transfer over shouldn't the belt level be the same?
FEAR
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Different belt systems between 10th planet and BJJ?

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:03 am

FEAR wrote:*Disclaimer* :geek:
THIS IS NOT A GRIEVANCE AGAINST 10TH PLANET. I have no problem with their system. For awhile i sometimes would use rubber guard because I have some flexibility, but I enjoy other guards and strategies for my game. The 10th planet guy I'm talking about is also a really nice person and helped me improve some parts of my top game.

Story time:

A long time ago, a new guy walked into the gym and wore a gi with a white belt. And then I rolled with him. This guy was beating me left and right. All I thought was "man, i've done this less than a year, but I shouldn't be this bad". I talked to him afterwards and found out that he was a purple belt in the 10th planet system. I thought that was interesting and talked to him about a couple different things that I needed to change up. After this I've noticed that it is a trend to have guys have different belts in 10th planet and BJJ. I found this odd since 10th planet is derived from BJJ and since nogi techniques 95% of the time transfer over shouldn't the belt level be the same?

I am some what of a 10th Planet JJ guy. I can answer this question for you. Most BJJ gyms have no respect for Eddie. Traditional JJ gyms are all about Gracie, or Machado (I am sure you know this) and Eddie tapped Royler. This kind-of makes for a huge separation between 10thJJ and traditional BJJ.

Most traditional BJJ gyms see 10thJJ as an abomination, therefor they shun there members. I have seen people that were blue belts under 10thJJ made to go put on a white belt at their new gym. (They don't see them as legitimate, which is kind of childish) So most 10 guys would just rather wear a white belt and avoid all the BS. As a guy who has trained with Eddie before, I can personally tell you that he does not just hand out belts.

But thank you for such a great question! I look forward to your posts in the future.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby FEAR » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Fearless6691 wrote:I am some what of a 10th Planet JJ guy. I can answer this question for you. Most BJJ gyms have no respect for Eddie. Traditional JJ gyms are all about Gracie, or Machado (I am sure you know this) and Eddie tapped Royler. This kind-of makes for a huge separation between 10thJJ and traditional BJJ.

Most traditional BJJ gyms see 10thJJ as an abomination, therefor they shun there members. I have seen people that were blue belts under 10thJJ made to go put on a white belt at their new gym. (They don't see them as legitimate, which is kind of childish) So most 10 guys would just rather wear a white belt and avoid all the BS. As a guy who has trained with Eddie before, I can personally tell you that he does not just hand out belts.

But thank you for such a great question! I look forward to your posts in the future.

I've seen Royler vs Eddie, as well as the follow up Eddie vs Leo Vieira :twisted: , jk

I didn't think that people would make such a deal out of it. For me, I have always considered 10th planet to be basically the same as BJJ, just a focus on different techniques. Although looking at the two sides, there are definitely obvious reasons why they would despise each other. Both sides have some members that won't let the issue die.

I remember awhile ago, 10th planet made a sort of... testimonial video (lets call it that). and Jason Chambers sounds like he's trashing pretty much every guard and proclaims rubber guard as the BEST GUARD EVER. It sounds very preachy and one sided at first, but if you listen to what he's saying objectively then it makes sense. If you want to force an unwilling opponent in MMA to stay on the ground, then a clinching guard such as the rubber guard would (and has) work quite well.
FEAR
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Fearless6691 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 pm

FEAR wrote:
Fearless6691 wrote:I am some what of a 10th Planet JJ guy. I can answer this question for you. Most BJJ gyms have no respect for Eddie. Traditional JJ gyms are all about Gracie, or Machado (I am sure you know this) and Eddie tapped Royler. This kind-of makes for a huge separation between 10thJJ and traditional BJJ.

I've seen Royler vs Eddie, as well as the follow up Eddie vs Leo Vieira :twisted: , jk

I didn't think that people would make such a deal out of it. For me, I have always considered 10th planet to be basically the same as BJJ, just a focus on different techniques. Although looking at the two sides, there are definitely obvious reasons why they would despise each other. Both sides have some members that won't let the issue die.

I remember awhile ago, 10th planet made a sort of... testimonial video (lets call it that). and Jason Chambers sounds like he's trashing pretty much every guard and proclaims rubber guard as the BEST GUARD EVER. It sounds very preachy and one sided at first, but if you listen to what he's saying objectively then it makes sense. If you want to force an unwilling opponent in MMA to stay on the ground, then a clinching guard such as the rubber guard would (and has) work quite well.

Yeah yeah, whatever! :P

It really not that big of a deal, but most 10 guys just don't want to deal with it. Also, never listen to anyone's opinion about rubber guard other than Eddie himself. A lot of those guys are arrogant, Chambers, Einstein and Park.

All traditional BJJ guys have 10 too because if rubber guard is so good (which it truly is) they have to learn it and that would suck for them.
I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit.
Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
"
_________________________________Muhammad Ali
Fearless6691
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Ground Game