Close
Login
Register

Cardinals rule.

Discuss any and all non-combat sports here.

Re: Cardinals rule.

Postby notsukao » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:52 am

KotovSyndrome wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:Gotta be happy with what the Orioles did last year though. They completely defied common baseball thought regarding Run Differential and Pythagorean Record theories. The Orioles should have been about a .500 team last year but because they won an insane amount of 1-run games, somehow they ended up with 90+ wins. Mind-boggling.

Well actually it's funny, the Orioles had such a poor run differential for most of the season, but it was the most misleading stat in baseball, especially in the second half.

The O's compiled a ton of 1-run wins, especially in the first half, but when they would lose, we would get our asses smashed like 10-2 or 13-1. Just look at I think either the first or second Texas series. They absolutely demolished us in a couple games. That's why I'm one of those annoying baseball fans who always says you need to do the "eye test." When you watched this team, you realized how good they actually were. Stats were easy for ESPN to write a story about and make a montage, but locally, we all knew that stat was ridiculously misleading.

Still proud to see the Orioles defy those numbers and finally make the playoffs. Ridiculously long drought.

And to answer your better rotation comment, I really don't see one. I think on paper, the Anaheim Angels starting rotation is probably the closest and you have to believe they won't start out as slow offensively as last year.

I'm really excited for this season because I'm a diehard Orioles fan, but I also just love the sport and soooo many interesting teams to watch this year...except for that FUCKING TRAVESTY that is the Houston Astros.

The Houston Astros have actually been excellent at rebuilding since Lunhow (who helped build the incredible St. Louis farm system right now) took over. They've made a lot of great, out of the box hires (Goldstein + a few others from Baseball Prospectus notably) and have acquired a lot of high upside minor league depth, They're pretty much easily a top 10 system, and Keith Law even has them at 4. The move they pulled getting Correa (who I feel is the best player in the 12' draft, next to Addison Russell) to sign for so much under slot and then nabbing Ruiz and McCullers was genius.

I am not an Astros fan btw... I just feel they're rebuilding the 'right' way.
Image Image
Nick Diaz (W) def. Carlos Condit (L), TKO (Stockton Slap) 3:25, Rd 2
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby notsukao » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 am

RebelSaki wrote:Show me a better rotation in baseball right now:

R.A Dickey
Brandon Morrow
Josh Johnson
Mark Buerhle
Ricky Romero

I love Dickey, but imo he's a huge question mark going from one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the league to the AL East. The same goes for Romero, he's a major question mark to bounce back, and Johnson is also not a model of health either. I'm actually rooting for the Jays though- Alex A is a ninja!
Just off the top of me head I'd say the Nationals (Strasburg, Gio, Zimmerman, Haren), Tigers, TB, Doyers, and possibly even the Reds if Chapman can successfully transition (big if) have better rotations though.
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby notsukao » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 am

DreadLobster wrote:Not happy about the Cardinals losing Carpenter...

Probably doesn't even matter, their farm system is completely stacked with Rosenthal and Miller ready to start for them around June probably. and that's not even counting Taveras, who is going to be an absolute star...
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

notsukao wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:Show me a better rotation in baseball right now:

R.A Dickey
Brandon Morrow
Josh Johnson
Mark Buerhle
Ricky Romero

I love Dickey, but imo he's a huge question mark going from one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the league to the AL East. The same goes for Romero, he's a major question mark to bounce back, and Johnson is also not a model of health either. I'm actually rooting for the Jays though- Alex A is a ninja!
Just off the top of me head I'd say the Nationals (Strasburg, Gio, Zimmerman, Haren), Tigers, TB, Doyers, and possibly even the Reds if Chapman can successfully transition (big if) have better rotations though.

Agreed that the Nats and Reds may have better rotations, given all the question marks the Jays have.

I also am big on the Astros and how they've committed to a proper rebuild. Damn is it going to be rough going the first couple of years for them in the AL West but they're quietly building up a nice young core. Loved the recent Jed Lowrie acquisition.

EDIT: Stephen Drew acquisition, lol

Romero is an interesting case because he's going from being last year's "ace" on a questionable pitching staff, to being this year's #5 starter on an awesome staff. He was absolutely atrocious last year no question about it, but one has to wonder how much of that was due to him pitching through pain for most the season.
Last edited by RebelSaki on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby RebelSaki » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 pm

One other note, is that while I've like the majority of AA's moves... Lately he's been making some less AA-like ones. I mean its great that he added all this talent in the offseason but he did it in a super-inefficient way and sacrificed the majority of his blue-chip prospects in the process. I'm still pissed that he dealt D'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey :evil:
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby KotovSyndrome » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 pm

notsukao wrote:
The Houston Astros have actually been excellent at rebuilding since Lunhow (who helped build the incredible St. Louis farm system right now) took over. They've made a lot of great, out of the box hires (Goldstein + a few others from Baseball Prospectus notably) and have acquired a lot of high upside minor league depth, They're pretty much easily a top 10 system, and Keith Law even has them at 4. The move they pulled getting Correa (who I feel is the best player in the 12' draft, next to Addison Russell) to sign for so much under slot and then nabbing Ruiz and McCullers was genius.

The reason I call them a travesty is because of just how poor the current team is. I understand the entire premise behind them is to win in the future, but ultimately, you are talking about a team solely relying on future prospects. The Orioles had that same mentality just after 2003ish, and so so so many players just never worked out.

It's smart that they are building for the future and I don't mean to spit on that, but I just think the product that will go onto the field, not just this year, but probably the next couple is going to be so subpar that it is going to be a big financial crunch on them. Not to mention are we talking about players with big upside or franchise players? Are we talking about players that they will be able to retain or players that will bolt the second they can get out of the franchise? As a fan of bad team for years, these are some of the fears that I have. Sometimes, if you allow your franchise to fall so far, the future just waits for the opportunity to leave.

You need experienced, proven players to complement those prospects when they get here and I don't want the Astros franchise to fall so far that they have to go through what the Orioles had to back when our former GM said "It's like I'm offering Confederate money."

Now by all means, I'm not advocated making bad acquisitions just for the sake of putting on a show, but it's just typically, there is something to look forward to on the field, but all of that seems to be in the minors for this team. We'll see though. They are in a very tough division (assuming A's stay on their course and Texas stabilizes) so, it will be interesting to watch in the future.
KotovSyndrome
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby KotovSyndrome » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 pm

RebelSaki wrote:Romero is an interesting case because he's going from being last year's "ace" on a questionable pitching staff, to being this year's #5 starter on an awesome staff. He was absolutely atrocious last year no question about it, but one has to wonder how much of that was due to him pitching through pain for most the season.

To be honest, I am totally with you on this and I think his numbers are incredibly misleading. When you breakdown Romero, start by start, he had probably 5 atrocious starts early and into the middle of the year. He was a lot better toward the end of last year and when you look at his win-loss record, he did have outings where he pitched pretty well, but got no support.

If he comes in healthy, I have no doubt that you will see the ERA go down and some of those losses get converted to wins, but more importantly, you are going to see his IP go up. That way, if your other starters handle their business, you are looking at a situation where you could have a pretty rested bullpen heading into the end of the season.

I actually expect the Jays to enter September about 4 or 5 games behind the Yankees, but by the end stealing the division from them. Can't wait.
KotovSyndrome
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby notsukao » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 pm

RebelSaki wrote:One other note, is that while I've like the majority of AA's moves... Lately he's been making some less AA-like ones. I mean its great that he added all this talent in the offseason but he did it in a super-inefficient way and sacrificed the majority of his blue-chip prospects in the process. I'm still pissed that he dealt D'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey :evil:

I totally agree with you. I think if D'Arnaud and Syndergaard got shopped around I find it hard to believe Dickey would be the best they could get in return, but who knows... I'm obviously just a dork behind my computer, but D'Arnaud's K:BB / lack of walks has always worried me a little bit too.
I also agree that the trades were very un-AA. However, I think now was the time to try and make a run at the playoffs/winning big with the Yankees and Red Sox having a lot of uncertainty, even if it meant taking on some potentially bad payroll. Hell, I wish the A's would do that sometime! I honestly have the Jays as one of the best teams in baseball now, even with the rotation question marks.
BTW- I also think Romero could very well bounce back, if he's healthy his stuff is just too good for him to be that bad...
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby notsukao » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 pm

KotovSyndrome wrote:
notsukao wrote:

The reason I call them a travesty is because of just how poor the current team is. I understand the entire premise behind them is to win in the future, but ultimately, you are talking about a team solely relying on future prospects. The Orioles had that same mentality just after 2003ish, and so so so many players just never worked out.

It's smart that they are building for the future and I don't mean to spit on that, but I just think the product that will go onto the field, not just this year, but probably the next couple is going to be so subpar that it is going to be a big financial crunch on them. Not to mention are we talking about players with big upside or franchise players? Are we talking about players that they will be able to retain or players that will bolt the second they can get out of the franchise? As a fan of bad team for years, these are some of the fears that I have. Sometimes, if you allow your franchise to fall so far, the future just waits for the opportunity to leave.

You need experienced, proven players to complement those prospects when they get here and I don't want the Astros franchise to fall so far that they have to go through what the Orioles had to back when our former GM said "It's like I'm offering Confederate money."

Now by all means, I'm not advocated making bad acquisitions just for the sake of putting on a show, but it's just typically, there is something to look forward to on the field, but all of that seems to be in the minors for this team. We'll see though. They are in a very tough division (assuming A's stay on their course and Texas stabilizes) so, it will be interesting to watch in the future.

Very well said, I pretty much agree with all your points. As an A's fan, I can totalllly see what you mean about guys just leaving once their rookie deals/arbitration years are up haha. It also sucks MLB had to go and implement the crappy new CBA that kills teams like the Pirates, Royals, Rays, and Jays that were really starting to invest wisely in the draft and in international signings.
Anyway, it will be fun to watch. Nice to see some baseball fans here, can't wait for the season!
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby DreadLobster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am

notsukao wrote:
DreadLobster wrote:Not happy about the Cardinals losing Carpenter...

Probably doesn't even matter, their farm system is completely stacked with Rosenthal and Miller ready to start for them around June probably. and that's not even counting Taveras, who is going to be an absolute star...

Agreed, still sad to see him go, he was always one of my favorites. If Wainwright can be anywhere NEAR as consistent as he was before his surgery that'll be a huge plus as well. He was shaky all last season.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby RebelSaki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

notsukao wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:One other note, is that while I've like the majority of AA's moves... Lately he's been making some less AA-like ones. I mean its great that he added all this talent in the offseason but he did it in a super-inefficient way and sacrificed the majority of his blue-chip prospects in the process. I'm still pissed that he dealt D'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey :evil:

I totally agree with you. I think if D'Arnaud and Syndergaard got shopped around I find it hard to believe Dickey would be the best they could get in return, but who knows... I'm obviously just a dork behind my computer, but D'Arnaud's K:BB / lack of walks has always worried me a little bit too.
I also agree that the trades were very un-AA. However, I think now was the time to try and make a run at the playoffs/winning big with the Yankees and Red Sox having a lot of uncertainty, even if it meant taking on some potentially bad payroll. Hell, I wish the A's would do that sometime! I honestly have the Jays as one of the best teams in baseball now, even with the rotation question marks.
BTW- I also think Romero could very well bounce back, if he's healthy his stuff is just too good for him to be that bad...

Have to agree on the K:BB comment but then again say what you want about D'Arnaud, but I have to believe he woulda ended up somewhere between an adequate replacement for the horrible JP Arencibia, and a perennial all-star. I think it may take 2-3 years but D'Arnaud will be mentioned alongside Buster Posey, Wieters and Zunino in Seattle as 4, generational talents at catcher.

As for Romero... it would be a crapshoot projecting him. Is he as good as his sub-3 ERA in 2011? Probably not. Is he as bad as the total statistical abomination that was his 2012? Hopefully not. I suspect he falls somewhere in between, provides adequate innings and an ERA just under 4.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

I think you're right about D'Arnaud. He has a relatively high floor for a prospect, and his ceiling is still really high. I personally like Carlos Santana a lot as a top catcher in the next 2/3 years too, although I'm personally less high on Zunino than most. He totally raked last year, so I'm probably wrong, and he does fit the 'gamer' type that exceeds expectations.
If Gary Sanchez can stick at C he's a potential monster with the bat too.

I read Romero's elbow is feeling good so far, and since it's injury related hopefully it's more than the usual spring " (insert player) IS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE!" stuff. That's a fair projection on him, I think the Jays would be really happy with that.
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Castrated Rhino » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Fuck you, the Braves are winning it ALL this year!

maybe

please
Castrated Rhino
Invisible Belt

Postby DreadLobster » Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Ha ha the were off to a good start... Cardinals are doing fantastic though.

I imagine the Braves fans are still a little sort at us for stealing their wild card spot a few years back (and winning it all).
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby timbercutter » Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 pm

to me the Cards are fuckin amazing...fuckin hate them, but they almost always cob together an excellent team....Became a fan waaaaay back when Jack Clark and Willie Magee ruled the roost.....
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

PreviousNext

Return to The "Club House"