Close
Login
Register

Canelo vs Cotto nearing completion for November

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Canelo vs Cotto nearing completion for November

Postby DannyRocktown » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Two of boxing's biggest names are set to square off at 155 lbs. in November.

It's not 100% set in stone yet, but it seems like it's going to happen. Two of boxing's biggest stars not named Manny or Floyd are going to square off in what will be the second biggest fight of 2015 - Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Miguel Cotto. Mexico vs. Puerto Rico. And it will take place in November.

Here's what we do know so far - it will be at 155 lbs, and it's expected to go down on either November 7th or 21st. In a bit of surprising news (at least to me), the bout won't be in New York. Instead, it will take place in Las Vegas, at the either Thomas & Mack Center or the MGM Grand. If it's the 7th, it's at the MGM. If it's the 21st, it's at Thomas & Mack. As for where you can watch it, it will be on HBO PPV.

All this news comes from Bad Left Hook, via ESPN.

Cotto (40-4, 33 KO) is coming off a big knockout win over Daniel Geale last month, while Canelo (45-1-1, 32 KO) destroyed James Kirkland in a stadium show in May.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/3/8890513/saul-canelo-alvarez-vs-miguel-cotto-155-lb-fight-nearing-completion

ImageImageImage
DannyRocktown
Admin

Accolades: Feb. 2016 MMALINKER Fantasy B-League Champion

Re: Canelo vs Cotto nearing completion for November

Postby emd01 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:26 pm

I have Canelo by murder.
emd01
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby BestWayKilla » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:20 am

emd01 wrote:I have Canelo by murder.

Yeah, I'd rather see Cotto not take a terrible beating on his way out of the sport. Canelo tore through Kirkland like a wet paper bag. Cotto doesn't have anything for him, not anymore.
UP THE IRONS!!!!

mikalianenkomedov wrote:ball gargling faggots that are faggoty and gargle balls.

Sigbetting Record- 17-10
BestWayKilla
The Trooper

Postby MadTitan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Cotto has to know thats a match he wont win. "Nearing completion" means he's trying to get the most money he can out of that ass whoopin he will likely receive. Hate to say that, but it's true.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.
MadTitan
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:17 pm

God I hope Cotto wins
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby emd01 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 pm

BestWayKilla wrote:

Yeah, I'd rather see Cotto not take a terrible beating on his way out of the sport. Canelo tore through Kirkland like a wet paper bag. Cotto doesn't have anything for him, not anymore.

I think itll be a good fight. I dont think it will be one sided but i think there will be a brutal ending in favor of Canelo. I do think Cotto puts up a much better fight than Kirkland but the catchweight imo works in the kids favor. Canelo has been known to take breaks in rounds to conserve energy. With the added weight he wont have to drain down so much. A more energized Canelo is a really scary thought :lol: . Just my opinion.
emd01
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby BestWayKilla » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:49 am

emd01 wrote:
BestWayKilla wrote:

I think itll be a good fight. I dont think it will be one sided but i think there will be a brutal ending in favor of Canelo. I do think Cotto puts up a much better fight than Kirkland but the catchweight imo works in the kids favor. Canelo has been known to take breaks in rounds to conserve energy. With the added weight he wont have to drain down so much. A more energized Canelo is a really scary thought :lol: . Just my opinion.

Yeah, I was always kinda skeptical of Canelo, I hadn't seen him fight much nut a lot of the competition he had wasn't especially impressive. I expected him to beat Kirkland, but holy shit, I was not expecting him to destroy him like that. I was sold on the kid after that.

If Cotto hadn't taken the beatings he did against Marg, Pac, and Floyd, I'd see this fight being much more competitive. But as he is, I don't see him beating Canelo, and I can see him getting stopped. Then again, I thought the same thing when he fought Martinez, and look how that turned out.

Fun fact: according to Wikipedia, Cotto was born in Providence, Rhode Island, same as me. I never knew that.
UP THE IRONS!!!!

mikalianenkomedov wrote:ball gargling faggots that are faggoty and gargle balls.

Sigbetting Record- 17-10
BestWayKilla
The Trooper

Postby stvgabriel » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:13 am

I'm really looking forward to this fight. I'm leaning towards Canelo, I just hope it isn't a one sided beat down

"In the end things will have to be as they are and always have been: the great things are left to the great, the abysses to the profound, tenderness and thrills to the sensitive, and to sum it up in a few words, everything extraordinary to the extraordinary. "
stvgabriel
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: April 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, 2017 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.