Close
Login
Register

Can we stop with the Dream Team crap now?

Discuss any and all non-combat sports here.

Can we stop with the Dream Team crap now?

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 am

I thought that the Washington redskins have proven over and over that championship football teams are not purchased in free agency. But sure enough the eagles called themselves the dream team and the media and football world believed them.

How was that dream team?

Wake me up when they do something. Less is more and the Giants made the key moves that will win them the NFC East title and more this year.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: Can we stop with the Dream Team crap now?

Postby TofuDildo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 pm

What I'm hearing from Eagles fans is that they want Vince Young's head on plate for starting all this Dream Team craziness.

And starting a 4th round rookie at MLB is just plain wrong IMO, MLB is the leader of the D and nobody is going to respect or trust a kid with no NFL experience making the calls and adjustments. Signing Tatupu would help a bunch.

The Eagles are lucky they don't have a game against Pitt this regular season too after the hit Polamalu took from Vick. Harrison would of broke him him in half for revenge. But yeah, no way this is a Superbowl caliber team yet. They have the talent but it takes more then talent to make to even the post-season.
TofuDildo
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:37 pm

^^^Agreed 100%

I can't believe Totupu has not signed, it's crazy. Dude is a stud.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Eagles will be in the superbowl I have a feeling, that team is fucking stacked. Although, it was nice to see the steelers beat em out in pre season lol

Eagles vs Patriots calling it noooooow!
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Eagles will be in the superbowl I have a feeling, that team is fucking stacked. Although, it was nice to see the steelers beat em out in pre season lol

They still have a pretty piss poor O Line and a pretty weak defense. Oh and factor in the fact that Vick will get hurt and miss some games this year again. lol.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:53 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Eagles will be in the superbowl I have a feeling, that team is fucking stacked. Although, it was nice to see the steelers beat em out in pre season lol

They still have a pretty piss poor O Line and a pretty weak defense. Oh and factor in the fact that Vick will get hurt and miss some games this year again. lol.

Weak defense? I wasn't really aware of that, from what I heard they got a pretty stacked D. I'm a little rusty with football as I didn't follow up to much last 2 years but my roommate now is hardcore fan and hes convinced they got good D. Maybe its corner backs and safety that are pro, and the line is weak like their o line.

Regardless, ill be pulling for VIck. He did his time in jail and I can respect him for doing it and coming back strong, so I hope he doesn't get injured.
Heisenberg
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Weak defense? I wasn't really aware of that, from what I heard they got a pretty stacked D. I'm a little rusty with football as I didn't follow up to much last 2 years but my roommate now is hardcore fan and hes convinced they got good D. Maybe its corner backs and safety that are pro, and the line is weak like their o line.

Regardless, ill be pulling for VIck. He did his time in jail and I can respect him for doing it and coming back strong, so I hope he doesn't get injured.

Their secondary is decent but their line is not, linebackers are a ??. I am just not as high on them as the media is, pretty much every where I look says they are going to play GB in the NFC Championship game. As a Giants fan I hear this talk every single year about either the Cowboys or the Eagles and which ever one gets the spot light usually does bad lol.

I agree about Vick, I think he did awesome last year and fuck those PETA ass wholes. I think Vick has only had 1 season in his career where he didn't miss games though, just the way he plays he is going to get hurt. I am surprised Polumalu didn't take his head off.

These are all opinions though, that is why they play the game.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby lostsoul4012 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 am

I agree. This dream team crap is just that. Eagles are pretty much all offense outside of two corners and Trent Cole and defense wins championships. Besides, you cant just stack a team and expect to win. They have to gel and play well together. Look at the Steelers defense. Number 1 almost every year and with the exception of Polamalu and maybe Harrison, the rest of the players would be mediocre, at best, under any other coordinator or any other system. But the have been together forever now and are blessed with Lebeau.

Personally, barring injuries its probably gonna be NO and Green Bay in the NFC Championship. I do have Vick on my fantasy team though. So try to put up numbers Mike. And dont get hurt scrambling.
lostsoul4012
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby XBL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 pm

The funniest part of the whole "dream team" saga is that very few people in Philly have actually tried to claim that the Eagles are a dream team. Vince Young said that once, and it was a comment that was half in jest. But, everyone outside of Philly talked about it for months, and still refuse to let it go, claiming the entire time how sick they are of hearing about the dream team. Philadelphia fans right now care about the offensive line, the linebacking core, and how long before we can officially say Desean is ours for the best part of his career. Whether or not people think we're a "dream team" means nothing to us. The holes in our team and our record are what matter, and that has been the case since the lockout ended.
XBL
4th Professional Linker Victory

Postby XBL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 pm

lostsoul4012 wrote:I agree. This dream team crap is just that. Eagles are pretty much all offense outside of two corners and Trent Cole and defense wins championships.

Not the rule of thumb, I know, but it can happen in this era of the NFL.
XBL

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 am

XBL wrote:Image

Yeah but Peyton is about 10000 times better than Vick lol.

Philly will make the playoffs though, but I think the part people are sick of is not necessarily the words "dream team" but how much praise they received for making "so many moves in free agency", which ANY fan of an NFC East team knows does nothing for the Redskins every year.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby XBL » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

irishmike357 wrote:Philly will make the playoffs though, but I think the part people are sick of is not necessarily the words "dream team" but how much praise they received for making "so many moves in free agency", which ANY fan of an NFC East team knows does nothing for the Redskins every year.

Yea, the only free agent I personally cared about was Asomugha, which was a huge pickup. Plus, Dallas wanted him bad which was great. I think a lot of the praise from Philly fans stems from the fact that we are used to the Eagles being pretty lax about big free agents. They tend to follow a pattern of sign some big names, then nothing for 7 years, sign big name, etc. Most people expected Reid and the front office to (yet again) deny that the team needed help and do nothing to make any improvements, so we have to celebrate when the opportunity arises. Still, most Philly fans know that the Packers are the NFC's best team until they get beat, which is not going to be easy. Rodgers is just ridiculous with his accuracy, and he has a lot of options.
XBL

Postby lostsoul4012 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am

XBL wrote:
lostsoul4012 wrote:I agree. This dream team crap is just that. Eagles are pretty much all offense outside of two corners and Trent Cole and defense wins championships.

Actually, that's not true. Colts were the number one defense during that postseason. They got to the playoffs with offense but won it with defense. Their run defense turned to shut down. Lol as a Ravens fan I have to remember them beating us with only 5 field goals in the playoffs that year.
lostsoul4012
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:10 pm

XBL wrote:Yea, the only free agent I personally cared about was Asomugha, which was a huge pickup. Plus, Dallas wanted him bad which was great. I think a lot of the praise from Philly fans stems from the fact that we are used to the Eagles being pretty lax about big free agents. They tend to follow a pattern of sign some big names, then nothing for 7 years, sign big name, etc. Most people expected Reid and the front office to (yet again) deny that the team needed help and do nothing to make any improvements, so we have to celebrate when the opportunity arises. Still, most Philly fans know that the Packers are the NFC's best team until they get beat, which is not going to be easy. Rodgers is just ridiculous with his accuracy, and he has a lot of options.

Just to be clear all my comments are based around what the media says, not the Eagles fans. I honestly don't know or talk to any Eagles fans.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby XBL » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm

irishmike357 wrote:Just to be clear all my comments are based around what the media says, not the Eagles fans. I honestly don't know or talk to any Eagles fans.

As to the media I'll agree. They blew a half serious comment way out of proportion and still will not let it drop.

lostsoul4012 wrote:Actually, that's not true. Colts were the number one defense during that postseason. They got to the playoffs with offense but won it with defense. Their run defense turned to shut down. Lol as a Ravens fan I have to remember them beating us with only 5 field goals in the playoffs that year.

You're right. The Indy defense did have a big postseason and that was a huge factor in their going all the way. Still, even as the defense stepped up I'd say it was still the offense that was the major strength of the team, especially in the AFC championship, and Manning was Super Bowl MVP (although that was probably happening no matter what unless Peyton had played dismally). But, you're right that it is nearly impossible for a team with a great offense and terrible difference to win. I think a Super Bowl can be won with a top offense and a defense that may have holes though. I think that applies to the Iggles this year.
XBL

Next

Return to The "Club House"