Close
Login
Register

Boxers to Get Started With

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Boxers to Get Started With

Postby red_donn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:37 am

I've taken to watching boxing recently - mostly on ESPN and the internet due to my lovely Charter cable and cheap roommates who don't see how they benefit from me getting all the channels that cover boxing and mma. Strange how that works. :wink:

At any rate, I know that boxing is widely considered to be a tad light on "star power" at the moment, with the notable exception of the welterweight class. I plan on using the 147 pounders as a "springboard" to start getting into boxing's higher levels, but I'm looking for specific fighters to get a bit attached to across the weightclasses in order to help get me pumped up for the sport.

Andre Ward is one guy I'm interested in seeing develop. I've heard him described as a poor man's RJJ but he's still improving and only just got a title. He seems humble, he's an Olympian from my very own Bay Area, and I've heard he's got an aggressive style that's fun to watch.

To get into a sport, I think it is very beneficial to start following fighters who are still active, rather than watching old classics, because of the difference in the passion of the moment. Therefore, I'm asking for recommendations on fighters to follow, descriptions of what makes them good to be fans of (style, personality, technical skills, etc), and specific fights of theirs to look up. Many thanks.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Re: Boxers to Get Started With

Postby Nigelthegreat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather is great to get you pumped up for fights cus he talks alot. Not to mention best boxer of the last 20 or so years.

Ricky Hatton has a very exciting style and cool personality. hes always fun to watch win or lose.

Juan Manual Marquez is a beast of a small guy, his fights are always wars. he has a great chin (example: getting knocked down 3 times by pacquiao in 1 round and getting up and fighting back for a draw is insane)

Wladamir Klitchko is a BEAST. best heavyweight in the world. his right hand crushes opposition.

if Margarito is allowed to box ever again he is a fun watch. push forward take your best shots and dish out worse kind of fighter.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby supermanpunch » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:26 pm

If you're lucky you may have the chance to watch B-Hop fight one or two more fights, I love that bastard, schooling big name fighters and up and comers... :lol: I hope he fights either Carl Froch or Arthur Abraham just to show them what top level boxing is all about :lol:
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:30 pm

well recently if you want to see some fast elusive boxers watch Andre Berto hes the current WBC 147 champ.undefeated

also shane mosley dominated margarito
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby red_donn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Good stuff so far - thanks guys! :D
I'm noticing a lot of guys in the WW division, are there any mw's, lhw's, or cruiserweights to check into? I'm afraid to ask about HW's beyond the Klitschko brothers.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Postby Nigelthegreat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:38 pm

red_donn wrote:Good stuff so far - thanks guys! :D
I'm noticing a lot of guys in the WW division, are there any mw's, lhw's, or cruiserweights to check into? I'm afraid to ask about HW's beyond the Klitschko brothers.

MW - Kessler is still realy good.
Lucien Bute is quite the boxer fighter, hes got good technique and skill.
Librado Andrade iquite exciting aswell.
Kelly Pavlik is great,
Paul Williams is good but not very exciting fighter.

LHW's -
Hopkins and Johnson are good guys to watch despite age,
Dawson is good for defence nad such but hes more boring to watch,
if Calzaghe comes back (doubtful) he is very much the best LHW around

HW's - Ruslan Chagaev is great. but most heavyweights are overweight and fat outside the Klitchko's who are indeed way beyond most other heavyweights.
never watch Valuev he blows and is sooo boring. especially in his fight agaisnt Holyfield which HE LOST.

if you wander into the feather weights and such way down there
Chris John is a great fighter. and hes fighting Rocky Juarez again in a fight he got robbed of a win in.
thats in a few weeks it should be a good fight.

Juan Manual Lopez is a great up and commer

Vic Darchiniyan is a BEASTTTT i definetly reccomend watching him for big hits in light weights
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby red_donn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:22 pm

You guys are seriously making my day - now I just have to find sites with reliable levels of up to date videos. I'm starting with common video sites (Dailymotion is doing me proud) but I really feel I could use Boxlinker right about now.
red_donn

Postby Nigelthegreat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:10 pm

emd01 wrote:
:shock: I totally disagree. He throws more punches a round than any other MW in the world...it's freakish.

it might be because i dont really like him lol but ive never found his fights to be that worth while.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:35 pm

emd01 wrote:
Nigelthegreat wrote:
emd01 wrote:
:shock: I totally disagree. He throws more punches a round than any other MW in the world...it's freakish.

it might be because i dont really like him lol but ive never found his fights to be that worth while.

Truthfully, neither do I :lol: but I can't deny he's a threat to all of the top WW. I don't see any WW beating him.

haha, hes in like 3 divisions isnt he?
i dont know. i know his reach is unreal and gives him a crazy advantage to box his way to decisions without much difficulty but im not sure he could hang with the top top WW out there like Mosley, Mayweather, Cotto, Berto.

his most credible win is against Margarito which is impressive but he can be outpointed easily by boxing him and keeping him from comming in.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:52 pm

ive seen a few

i watched the latest with winky wright and he just like, half-assed the whole time and i was not impressed with him. (i remember this much more vividly than the others i saw)

personally i think anyone who can get on the inside with good defence could give him hell. all about game plan.
i should look into mor eof his fights though. ive only seen a few. but i dont really like him so i have a very biased opinion but i do think he is a very good boxer hes ranked top 10 in 3 weight classes i think. i agree with the statement that hes hte most ducked fighter in a sense. in saying that hes fought very few top clas fighters so who knows how he woudl fare.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.