Close
Login
Register

Begining BJJ

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Begining BJJ

Postby Hud085 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:37 am

Well as the topic states I have just started BJJ at a school and have hit some problems. I previously did some informal No Gi stuff at the gym i used to train at and got the urge to get serious. Being 91kg and slowly building up my fitness i assumed i would at least be able to roll with some low degree white belts. In fact i am getting thrown around and smashed like a ping pong ball. I find i get exhausted and gassed pretty quickly mainly after the drills heading into the rolling after two techniques are taught. This has dropped my motivation train cause of being subbed left right and centre. I do BJJ on average 3-4 times a week with Muay Thai 1-2 times. I have tried breathing more frequently and differnt techniques but either way i am so fatigued when it comes to rolling that I just try to survive more so than attack or sub my partner.

Been at he BJJ Gi stuff for about 2 weeks now. Question is am i asking for too much too soon? Or Should i look at improving my strength and conditioning training and wait till i get a better feel for the Gi itself? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated ! (Plus i thought learning BJJ with the Gi would probably help master a higher level of technique in order to overcome other grapplers who are much stronger) :(
Hud085
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Begining BJJ

Postby Krim » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:53 pm

Don't be disheartened. Just keep working your techniques and work on your conditioning. It's always tough making the switch (I'm still not that used to the gi). Keep working and it will come to you with time.
Krim
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby BIGthingsSON » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 am

Just suck it up and keep going. It always gets better after a while. I was in the same predicament, came to the point where I was like , " Fuck , Jiu jitsu time." Now I go anytime 6:30 is free on my schedule.
BIGthingsSON
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Coffin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Welcome to one of the best and exciting “sports”. I see a lot of my new students have a similar experience with early fatigue, they put 100% trying to “resist” the other player. The more experienced guy will always, and I mean always use this to tire you out. It makes it easier and safer for them to execute what they want to train on.

I put the new recruits with my experienced guys for a few reasons:
1. They can control the new player and ensure safety. New guys don’t know how to apply submissions safely but they have all seen the UFC and think they will dominate through brute force to get submission. I don’t allow to new guys to roll together ever.
2. When my senior player is close to achieving a submission they call out. I wait till they have it and say freeze. I then teach the new player the escape. You learn fast this way.

Your fitness level is fine for BJJ, you will improve if you continue. My tips are to relax, don’t hang on with all your strength (this is what they want you to do) and move if you are on the bottom. You would be surprised how often and arm or leg of the other player will just present itself to you.

Gi work is also fun because you can use it as a weapon. The chokes you can put on from top or bottom are a great little tool to keep the other player on their toes. From the guard (easier to do this from the top but I am assuming you will be on the bottom) put your arm around the other players neck. Hold onto the opposing sleeve, pull that arm out and work it under the chin. Locking you hand around the opposing wrist, straighten your wrist to put on the choke. It is so much easier to demonstrate this than type over the internet but it’s the best I can do.

Don’t give up. Enjoy and welcome to the great world of grappling.

Joe Rogan: "Karo is wide open! " Mike Goldberg: "Diaz smells the opening. "

hawdrigoh wrote:Dong exposed himself to us today and I think I speak for everyone when I say I didn't mind it at all.

burtonboarder wrote:Are you asking what an Atheist believes in? The same things as you, real things, minus gullible superstitions.

ButterScotch talking dirty: "I expected a quick 30 second finish. Very impressive to restrain himself from unloading on the guy."
Coffin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Jeovanni » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 pm

just keep doing it and stick with the basics. I noticed alot of new guys wanted to try some wild shit they saw Frank shamrock do or someone on the internet or something. Just work the basics and keep doing them the coaches will tell you "do it 100 times and you'll remember it, but if you do it 1000 times you will own it" so keep working at it and dont worry. When I started I weighed like 260 pounds and I'm only like 5'8 so thats not balanced out at all, I was sooo badly outta shape and all I did was kept showing up to class and eventually I was hanging around with the blue and purple belts for the 5 min rolls and over time I started catching them.

ps. roll with blue belts or higher regardless of you not being able to sub them, they are well experienced and will do things the right way everytime they roll. trust me you will be better faster than rolling with people newer than you or roughly around the same level.
Jeovanni
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Pay attention, do the drills and just keep at it. The more you do it the better you get at it. I think I rolled for about a month before I subbed anyone and my conditioning sucked ass too. It got better over time. By the time I hit four months I could roll for a half hour straight before I got tired against bigger guys. It just takes time.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby Hud085 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice. Stayed with it started to get easier then i tore my hip flexor and broke my thumb. So back to square 1 again but at least i know what to expect. Starting again in about 7 days!
Hud085
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DimMak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:21 pm

EVERYONE gets tapped all the time in the beginning. It is important that your particular gym does make sure that you're not so overwhelmed that you can't progress. But that being said, getting tapped constantly is not just common, but expected. When I talk to friends that don't train, they seem to think that you're supposed to go into a gym completely ignorant and never get tapped. That's just unrealistic. And it's a good way to get down on yourself for no reason. The key is that regardless of the outcome from rolling with someone, you try to learn something new or consciously reinforce lessons/techniques that you want to master in time. The really high level grapplers have been slammed, flung around and submitted more than everyone else, which is why (and not despite that)they are now at their skill level.

New movements will always cause you to expend more energy than is necessary because you don't know how to move optimally and when (and which part of your body)to rest. In time, your conditioning will go up, but you will also expend less energy because you will become more familiar with the movements. Good luck on your training.
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Ground Game