Close
Login
Register

Bad teachers?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Bad teachers?

Postby ansell » Mon May 28, 2012 6:34 am

Anyone ever had bad experiences with bjj teachers?

Luckily I got over mine and was able to find someone else. Only been doing bjj for around 4 months now, only twice a week, I get schooled regularly. I don't mind though, I do it for exercise and fun. But I thought I'd never try it again after my first ever class.

Basically, I heard a school near me was doing free lessons for a month. I'd never tried bjj and thought why not, I love mma and thought it would be something I could keep an interest in. First of all, I turn up and I'm the only new starter. Everyone else was real good, compared to me anyway. Luckily everyone was super cool and said they'd help me out, but still I was a little nervous. So we get started with some warm ups, then go straight into rolling. I roll with two guys, both good guys giving me pointers. But each one lasted like 5 minutes. At this time I'm brand new and I'm just muscling through everything, no technique, so inevitably I'm fucking done after that 10 minutes. I speak to the teacher, explaining I need to sit out for a while, I'm spent. To which he replies "Have you ever done like, any physical activity before? Any sports whatsoever?"
Now I'm not a fat guy or anything, I'm skinny and play football (soccer) every Sunday. I might expect it if I was huge. But that one comment made me get my shit and leave, never went back. Might sound like nothing to some people but that comment made me uneasy forever in front of that class. I would feel I was being mocked and watched by everyone from now on.

It took me 7 months to pluck up the courage to find another teacher and try again. So glad I did now, but that incident nearly made me quit forever.
ImageImage
mmaisbetterthancorn wrote:KSW draws as many human being eyes aroung the globe than the UFC does for it's live free fights
ansell
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Re: Bad teachers?

Postby biscuits69 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 am

Man that instructor sounds like a dick, fortunately havent come across any bad teachers. but i feel for you brah
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby FEAR » Thu May 31, 2012 9:54 pm

Sounds like a bad teacher.

I had one not to long ago. There are plenty of instances that I could share that this guy was being an ass, but it didn't get bad till six months before I left. I was actually supposed to get tested for my blue belt under the guy, but I decided not to. Some of the things that pissed me off were that he would never coach at any tournament that we went to. He was disrespectful to the head student (who pretty much represented and coached the school at every tournament) and even have the student teach full two-three hour classes without paying him, the student could only get money from private lessons from other people (well worth it). The teacher would also sometimes just lift weights during class and would have a student just teach while that was going on. I just touched on some of the smaller issues. Luckily I'm at a smaller place with a bunch of cool guys who are taught by the previously mentioned head student (he left six months before I did, and a few other people followed suit). :biggrin:

There are some assholes out there and it's better to have gone to free classes than stay with a bad school for awhile.
FEAR
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:47 pm

That guy doesnt deserve to be a teacher. They're supposed to be patient and considerate with their students. You train under a man like that and you'll be like that in a few years haha.

Glad you moved on bro
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby trappa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:41 am

ansell wrote:Anyone ever had bad experiences with bjj teachers?

Luckily I got over mine and was able to find someone else. Only been doing bjj for around 4 months now, only twice a week, I get schooled regularly. I don't mind though, I do it for exercise and fun. But I thought I'd never try it again after my first ever class.

Basically, I heard a school near me was doing free lessons for a month. I'd never tried bjj and thought why not, I love mma and thought it would be something I could keep an interest in. First of all, I turn up and I'm the only new starter. Everyone else was real good, compared to me anyway. Luckily everyone was super cool and said they'd help me out, but still I was a little nervous. So we get started with some warm ups, then go straight into rolling. I roll with two guys, both good guys giving me pointers. But each one lasted like 5 minutes. At this time I'm brand new and I'm just muscling through everything, no technique, so inevitably I'm fucking done after that 10 minutes. I speak to the teacher, explaining I need to sit out for a while, I'm spent. To which he replies "Have you ever done like, any physical activity before? Any sports whatsoever?"
Now I'm not a fat guy or anything, I'm skinny and play football (soccer) every Sunday. I might expect it if I was huge. But that one comment made me get my shit and leave, never went back. Might sound like nothing to some people but that comment made me uneasy forever in front of that class. I would feel I was being mocked and watched by everyone from now on.

It took me 7 months to pluck up the courage to find another teacher and try again. So glad I did now, but that incident nearly made me quit forever.

He sounds like a cock. I suppose under some circumstances it could be seen as a joke if he was the type thats always having a laugh and joking with his students but sounds like he was putting you down on purpose. :roll:
I can perform miracles. I just dont want to.
trappa
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Return to Ground Game