Close
Login
Register

All you Jiu jitsu guys come here :)

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

All you Jiu jitsu guys come here :)

Postby 808_Hawaii » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I want to know the linkers who roll and or is interested in the grappling department.

Lets just post some introductions and we're all family on linker so lets not bash :biggrin:

Alright so I'll start and since I have time I'm going to put some deep shit I went through...

I'm currently am in college and training Jiu Jitsu with Professor Barros who is belted under Rickson. Started when I was 16 and am currently 19 turning 20. The sunny weathers, beach, chicks, friends, studying, life is good. But, it wasn't always positive for me. Back in the begining of highschool me and my friends had some crazy drama going on which ended up me not having any friends and got ignored... I was so depressed, had little to no self esteem, I thought about moving schools, states and the unthinkable came into my head. One day after school I went to a bridge and looked down thinking about jumping off and thought no one would care but I chickened out. I went to the same spot even more saddened and depressed and really in my mind thought about jumping off. Whatever reason why I didn't jump I am 100% grateful for that reason popping into my head. Alittle while after that I found out a family friend ran a Jiu Jitsu school. I had no idea what Jiu Jitsu was except the fact that most MMA fighters knew it and Royce Gracie was a pioneer. Ever since I started training my life changed 100%. I had confidence, sense of support and teammates who are like family even to this day. Because of that everyone noticed I was more confident and sure of myself and at the time I had no idea what people were talking about. Anyway this is very long and if you read the whole story thank you for taking the time to read what I wrote.

Basically for me, Jiu jitsu really did save my life and changed my life for the better in so many ways I can't even put into words.

Sorry it's so long guys. You guys don't have to do a crazy story about yourself maybe just alittle bit? :biggrin:
Last edited by 808_Hawaii on Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Re: All you Jiu jitsu guys come here :)

Postby jeffyboi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm

I just started training BJJ about 2 months ago at West Coast Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu in Vancouver, mostly because I felt my life was getting stale and wanted to try something new. It's definitely some of the toughest exercise i've ever done, especially rolling with guys 200+ (i'm 160ibs) .. I had to run to the bathroom and puke on my 2nd day after being smothered by this 220ib+ purple belt dude who had no mercy for me. The only issue i have with training bjj is how my joints are starting to feel after only 2 months.. my knee hurts when i do the triangle position now because I fell awkwardly a week ago.. might be sprained? and my elbow always feels strained. Gotta just train through dem' injuries lol

The head trainer at WestCoast is Don Whitefield, he's trained at American Top Team a bunch of times and always travels for tournaments. My regular instructor is Jason Gagnon though.. he's a legit brown belt who competes all over the world

a cool, basic drill

marcelo garcia showing my head trainer how its done.. lol makes it look so easy
jeffyboi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 am

jeffyboi wrote:I just started training BJJ about 2 months ago at West Coast Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu in Vancouver, mostly because I felt my life was getting stale and wanted to try something new. It's definitely some of the toughest exercise i've ever done, especially rolling with guys 200+ (i'm 160ibs) .. I had to run to the bathroom and puke on my 2nd day after being smothered by this 220ib+ purple belt dude who had no mercy for me. The only issue i have with training bjj is how my joints are starting to feel after only 2 months.. my knee hurts when i do the triangle position now because I fell awkwardly a week ago.. might be sprained? and my elbow always feels strained. Gotta just train through dem' injuries lol

The head trainer at WestCoast is Don Whitefield, he's trained at American Top Team a bunch of times and always travels for tournaments. My regular instructor is Jason Gagnon though.. he's a legit brown belt who competes all over the world

a cool, basic drill

marcelo garcia showing my head trainer how its done.. lol makes it look so easy

That's awesome you started training man. I'm around the same weight at as you ( 155 ) so I know how you feel when we roll with the big boys haha. If your joints are hurting I would suggest to take maybe a week off and see how you feel after :biggrin:

Awesome video by the way
BJJ Blue belt
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby jeffyboi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:23 am

what colour belt are you after 3+ years of training?
jeffyboi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:40 am

jeffyboi wrote:what colour belt are you after 3+ years of training?

I'm only at blue but as people say don't worry about belts and just enjoy the journey :biggrin:
BJJ Blue belt
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby jeffyboi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 am

808_Hawaii wrote:
jeffyboi wrote:what colour belt are you after 3+ years of training?

I'm only at blue but as people say don't worry about belts and just enjoy the journey :biggrin:

Yeah that's what most people tell me.. I'm anxious to get my stripes. I'm a pretty athletic guy so i've been fairing pretty well rolling with blue belts and subbing some. Mostly by being able to overpower them though haha my technique is still pretty shitty. I need to improve my flexibility and grip strength the most.. easier said than done

Have u competed in any tournaments? Peeps at my gym tell everyone to compete but i need more weapons in my submission arsenal to feel confident competeing.. would need to buy a jock strap and adapt to training with a mouthguard too..

edit.. just saw your other thread.. sick vid
jeffyboi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 am

That's great to hear man. Do you have a preference to play top or bottom game?

I would say you could start competing in a month or so since you're athletic. More tournament the more experience :biggrin:

Oh and I've been in 10 tournaments so far haha.

As my instructor says "You win, or you learn from competing"
BJJ Blue belt
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby jeffyboi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 am

808_Hawaii wrote:That's great to hear man. Do you have a preference to play top or bottom game?

I would say you could start competing in a month or so since you're athletic. More tournament the more experience :biggrin:

Oh and I've been in 10 tournaments so far haha.

As my instructor says "You win, or you learn from competing"

Well when i first started i'd always just try to wrestle guys onto their back, but i've started working my guard/bottom game more and its feeling a lot smoother. Haven't decided which i prefer, just need to get comfortable in any position and practicing my transitions.

I seem to have a really hard time passing peoples guard without getting swept though which can make for a boring roll since i don't like compromising my position.. which is another reason i've been just pulling guard, seems easier to attack
jeffyboi
White Belt
White Belt

Postby willyman77 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm

:geek:
willyman77
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 am

Yooooo, awesome story and glad you found BJJ and not offed yourself.

Fellow Hawaii brah checking in. Im not really familiar with other BJJ schools and instructors since Ive only been going about 8 months, but is the gym you go to located on UH? With the kinda bouncy/scrapey mats that the cheerleaders also use?

Btw im at RSA.

Oh yeah are you gonna go to that Rickson/Relson seminar on the 5th? And I know you guys arent exactly under Relson but is the people you know going to the Relson getting his red belt and the barbecue?
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby 808_Hawaii » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 am

biscuits69 wrote:Yooooo, awesome story and glad you found BJJ and not offed yourself.

Fellow Hawaii brah checking in. Im not really familiar with other BJJ schools and instructors since Ive only been going about 8 months, but is the gym you go to located on UH? With the kinda bouncy/scrapey mats that the cheerleaders also use?

Btw im at RSA.

Oh yeah are you gonna go to that Rickson/Relson seminar on the 5th? And I know you guys arent exactly under Relson but is the people you know going to the Relson getting his red belt and the barbecue?

That's great to hear man! Yeah we have been invitied to that seminar on the 5th. It's gonna be one hell of a evening 8)
BJJ Blue belt
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby pancakefactory » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Yeah Jiu Jitsu is amazing. I started training in January and it's taken over my life. I usually train 6-8 times a week (except I've been out for over the last week getting rid of some damn cauliflower ear. ALWAYS wear headgear!) It's not only the most fun I've ever had but I've lost a shit load of weight doing it (along with a lot of cardio and eating better.)

Over the past month or two I've really focused on working off my back. I have a pretty decent top game but it's not worth trying to wrestle for top position with some of the beasts at my school (Gracie Barra Westchase in Houston.) It seems to me that working extensively on my bottom game during free rolling has also improved my top game somehow, too. I love working half guard, dela riva guard and x-guard in particular.

Best decision ever. Can't wait to get back on the mats because this time off is killing my spirit.
Image Image
pancakefactory
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Ground Game